thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Thanks! Proud
Yes, I am finding the wiki system a bit weird to be honest, but then again I suppose all systems can be weird when you first come across them.
Once I worked out how to make a page I've mainly just been copying the format of existing pages.
Hope it's ok! Mervi hasn't pointed out any atrocities so hopefully I've not stuffed anything up. Undecided
(Jun-08-2010, 01:05 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]My biggest hurdle was in the beginning when I couldn't work out how to add to the already-established lists eg I tried for AGES to add Jami and Mirrifen to the alphabetical character list and couldn't...of course, I finally realised that I CAN'T add anything as that's a job only for Mervi, as admin, to do (or at least that's the reason I came up with!).

I'm sorry I haven't been here to answer this - nor have I visited the wiki for about a week now I think - I'll visit it later today to see all the hard work you guys have done, I promise!

Anyway, yeah the "lists" are created automatically - when you connect an article with a category the list is automatically updated. Here's how to do it: write ((Category:Characters)) at the end of a character article - except replace ( with [ and ) with ] . (I can't use double [s here because the forum thinks I'm trying to link to a wiki article with them!)

You can spy the code of any article to see that coding if you can't remember it and just copy+paste it to your article. I hope this helped! Smiling And don't be afraid to ask questions - I know there's lots of things one must learn to edit wikis (and I'm not an expert either) and there are no stupid questions!
Thanks for your help, Mervi!

I am still working on my projects, and here was I thinking it was going to be so easy to do the actually 'writing' on the subjects BUT it becomes rather more difficult when you know lots of people are going to view what you post. Certainly they read my everyday posts but that has a whole different feel to the pressure of putting together an accurate wiki article!!

Hopefully I will have at least have my pecksies one done, for others to check through, by the week's end. All very exciting!
Thanks Mervi - I thought I'd already posted that but I guess I didn't !!
(Jun-19-2010, 03:48 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully I will have at least have my pecksies one done, for others to check through, by the week's end. All very exciting!

So much for 'by the week's end' Dodgy . Like my Rooster Crown theories, I am terrified to post my pecksies entry...I don't know why, especially when I post so much about other things that I know nothing about!!! I am putting it here so that if I haven't posted my pecksies wiki by the end of August, please hound me about it so I do it. I must have a deadline or, otherwise, I'll lose my nerve!!!
Teehee flexible deadlines are the best kind!
You don't normally get that luxury in life. so why not exercise it here I say!!

Ok if you insist I for one promise to hound you Slurp
I've been wondering if you guys would want to do "project articles" like folks do at some other wikis. I've never actually participated in building one, but basically it means that we choose an article for the month (either one that doesn't exist yet, or one that does but needs a lot of improving) and then try to build together. I guess that way there wouldn't be so much pressure on just one person trying to tackle it all on their own. How does that sounds?
I like!
That sounds like a workable idea, Mervi (though I have never been involved with a project article either Smiling !). At the very least it may motivate a greater all-round interest in the wiki, especially for newbies who may like to start off small with their contributions before taking on a greater project once the confidence has kicked in?

I would still like to continue with my few things though (Kettricken's Guard, Great Sail Fleet and Pecksies). I THINK I'm going in the right direction re my pecksie project...my main concern was if I should be broad or more concise in my headings. Since my previous post, I have made a decision and gone with concise and, as a consequence, am almost done to the point that I feel comfortable with sharing...maybe!
Ok, I have placed my draft (with no fancy stuff!) under 'Pecksie' if you'd like to take a look and offer feedback, suggestions etc! Go on, hit me!!

I noticed while researching that the word pecksies was written with a capital P (Pecksies) in Fool's Fate and with a lower-case p (pecksies) in Words Like Coins...I went with the lower-case as I thought it flowed better and was easier to read AND I also used Australian/English spelling Smiling .
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5