thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Outislander Inheritance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm rereading Assassins Apprentice (Just marathon read all of the RotE books and I'm not ready to let go, haha) and I noticed in the prologue for chapter 12 (I think?) that there's a little explanation about the origins of the red ship raiders along with an example stating that if an outislanders son was forged, he'd have to face the shame of it along with losing his heir. I thought that outislanders inherited through the female line?

I wouldn't usually be so nitpicky over tiny details but it's quite a major part of the plotline in the Tawny Man trilogy. Is this a slip up or am I missing something all together?

(Also hello, this is my first post Smiling )
(Nov-28-2015, 10:58 AM (UTC))Tigerlily Wrote: [ -> ]I'm rereading Assassins Apprentice (Just marathon read all of the RotE books and I'm not ready to let go, haha) and I noticed in the prologue for chapter 12 (I think?) that there's a little explanation about the origins of the red ship raiders along with an example stating that if an outislanders son was forged, he'd have to face the shame of it along with losing his heir. I thought that outislanders inherited through the female line?

I wouldn't usually be so nitpicky over tiny details but it's quite a major part of the plotline in the Tawny Man trilogy. Is this a slip up or am I missing something all together?

(Also hello, this is my first post Smiling )

Good question!
I wondered if perhaps the sons became warriors with their fathers and would inherit 'warrior' related stuff like swords/ships/rank/titles etc...
But then I remembered that they stay with their mother's clan and are warriors for that clan...

So I can't see why a father would have an heir, or why the father, not the mother's family, would carry the shame a forged son would bring...
Especially as somewhere in the tawny man series there is a story about the women of one clan punishing their men for a raid on another clan...

Yeah, so I'm no help with this point!! Smiling