thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: What is your approach to series?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The fantasy being inclined to big, epic stories, there are very few tales that are told in less than three books. Do you buy books of a yet unfinished series or do you wait until the whole thing is out? And if the complete story has been released, do you first buy one instalment or do you buy whole trilogies?

In the past, I have often just bought first parts. Recently, however, I have bought whole trilogies on occasion, although only if they were bargains. I find that I often sit through whole trilogies anyway, because I want to know how it ends. I am in the habit, though, of not reading them all in one row - I can merrily skip around between series. (I think the only trilogy I ever read first to third with no other books in between was - of course - The Tawny Man!)
If I don't know the series at all, I'll buy the first book, regardless of whether or not the entire series has been released. After I finish it I'll usually know what I'm going to do: if it was awful I won't read any more of the series, if it was decent I'll wait until the rest of the series comes out and buy one at a time, and if it was absolutely excellent I'll buy as many as I can afford/get my hands on. This approach has worked well for me in the past, because a lot of the series I read (Redwall, Xanth, etc.) don't have a specific number of books in them - they'll just keep coming out until the author gets bored. These, however, do not have to be read in any particular order, so I just started with whatever one looked the most interesting at the time.

If I already know the author's writing style and like it enough, like that of our beloved Robin Hobb, I'll buy trilogies at a time if I can manage it. But if all the books aren't out yet I'll gladly read what I can and then wait (im)patiently for the next installment, and read something else in the interim.

I have a funny little habit of reading three or four books at the same time, but usually all but one of them are re-reads, just so I don't get confused. Or they're completely different genres. I have another habit that's a bit more annoying: after I read a series, if it's really good, sometimes I'll set it aside for a couple of days... and then proceed to read it again. For example, a week after I finished Fool's Fate I started again on Fool's Errand so I could get every little detail. And usually if I know I didn't read the entire series in order, once I've finished everything I'll go back to the beginning and read every book from start to finish. Once I couldn't even wait a couple of days; I closed the book, stared at it, and promptly started to read it again. I don't know why. Does anyone else do this?
These beings do not have specific approach to series. They approach each series randomly, but they do on occasion read many books at once. If they recall correctly, they are currently reading some five books, each from different series and at least one other series that they are in the middle of, but not started next book yet. It usually takes the 'thul a while before rereading a series after finishing it. That excludes series that latest book is still unpublished.
Welcome to the forums, Thul. I have to say, you have a very distinct way of typing.

Neverbeenwise: do you still read the Redwall books? I used to be a huge fan, but my enjoyment started dwindling at Rakkety Tam and I finally stopped reading in the middle of Eulalia! Maybe it's because I'm older now or maybe Brian Jacques has gotten worse, I don't know, but I haven't enjoyed the last few books.
These beings are as always grateful for the welcome, and choose to write in distinct ways.
(Jul-11-2010, 07:16 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]The fantasy being inclined to big, epic stories, there are very few tales that are told in less than three books. Do you buy books of a yet unfinished series or do you wait until the whole thing is out? And if the complete story has been released, do you first buy one instalment or do you buy whole trilogies?

To be honest I always just look at a book and go "hmm, could be interesting" and buy it. Don't ask if the rest of the series is out or not. I mean if all the books are there then all the better. But I really just grab and read. Though thats not the case with second hand books.

Also I buy one instalment. Never the lot.
I usually buy the book when it's released, and only wait reading when the next volumes are going to be published in the near future (e.g. I waited with the RWC until DH was released, but I've read all volumes so far of long-running stories like A song of ice and fire, Wheel of time or Abarat).
These beings do occasionally wait for series to get finished. They decided years ago to wait with reading wheel of time till it is finished. Most other times, they will just read a series, not caring whether the whole series is out or not. The style of "this looks interesting" is commonly used by them.
I just get something if it looks good, or sometimes if it's been recommended to me. I never check to see if the series is finished.
I kind of wish I had not got sucked into Game of Thrones though! But if I waited until they were all finished I might be dead!
I never read more than one book at a time, yuk! (well not more than one fiction book anyway. I read a lot of nf books at a time of course)
If the entire series HAS been written I will almost always try to read them in a row (not interspersed with other books)
Depends on the series and when I happen to find it. If the entire series has been published, I sometimes buy the lot, without reading the first book first...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8