thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Your Favorite Quote/Saying?...and dragon ramblings...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Mine is:
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

Write your favourite quote here, can be from a book/tv/famous person/your mother/anything else! Even something you just picked up randomly.

If you can, make sure you provide where you got the quote from and if you want, why it means something to you.
My favorite inspirational quote:
I spread my dreams before the crowd; tread lightly, for you tread upon my dreams. ~W. B. Yeats

I love it because I love the idea of dreams being physical things. And it was on the "changing scenes" screen of my first online roleplaying game experience ever, Furcadia, which holds a special place in my heart because it introduced me to quality writing in roleplaying games.

And my favorite quote by Beloved would have to be:
Oh, you know. It is the life of a White Prophet. I must be about predicting the future, saving the world - all those minor chores. Besides, you've run out of furniture for me to carve on.
These beings rather like this one:
Quote:"Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"
I loooove quotes, so I'm really excited to see what everyone's going to post to this thread! Most of my favourite quotes are from books and movies though, not actually the ~inspirational~ kind.

Let's see, what do I have to share today? Hmm.

Quote:Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness.
-- Kahlil Gibran

Quote:I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance.
-- e.e. cummings

I just dug up my old notebook where I used to collect quotes. There's lots of room in it still...
Hey these are all great quotes!
I can never remember quotes.... I don't have any inspirational ones, but I do have a couple of 'amusing' ones.

"Some days you wake up and immediately start to worry. Nothing in particular is wrong, it's just the suspicion that forces are aligning quietly and there will be trouble..."

I have no idea where that came from ......

And my fav Futurama quote ,,,, from the first episode ..... it's better in the actual show than on 'paper'.. but anyway ....

"It's the future! My parents, my coworkers, my girlfriend. I'll never see any of them again! .................. Yahooo!"
*cue theme music* !!
Yes, great idea, Liquid Ice - I love quotes too, and have HEAPS of favourites! Here are a few:

"Choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance the tides."
--Garth Brooks, from his country song 'The River'
One of my favourite lyrics in one of my favourite songs...I listen to it at least once a day!

"Just because there's a green light, it doesn't mean it's good to go."
--Phil 'Gus' Gould, Australian Rugby League personality
This was said in reference to an incident whereby a number of high-profile football players (some of whom were married) were involved in an ugly group sex scandal with a woman who was said to have 'consented' to the act. It wasn't a pretty incident and neither was the fall-out...I thought this classic quote summed it all up and is a piece of good advice for every facet of life.

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Weary Dunlop
Edward 'Weary' Dunlop was a well-known Australian surgeon and war hero. This quote mirrors the frustration I feel from time-to-time, as a consequence of having held numerous roles and been involved in various organisations and groups over the years.

"There is no try, only do or do not."
--Yoda, Jedi Master
What can I say? Yoda said it...

"This face isn't perfect but it suits me."
--maulkin (100 questions thread, here on thePlenty)

"Feel the fear and do it anyway."
--Susan Jeffers
From the book of the same name. I was at a week-long school function many, many years ago, and given it to read by a schoolteacher friend...the insights of the book are lost to me, but the title remains!

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;"

--William Shakespeare - 'As You Like It'
Probably an over-quoted line but I like it anyway!

"Oh bother!"
--Winnie the Pooh
What else can you expect from a bear of very little brain Smiling ?
The only quote I can think of off the top of my head is one by Robert M. Pirsig: "Getting drunk, picking up bar girls and writing metaphysics is part of life." (Note: It wasn't directly said by Pirsig himself; the tought belongs to the protagonist of his novel Lila, who is a thinly disguised version of himself.)
(Jul-19-2010, 02:49 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Weary Dunlop
Edward 'Weary' Dunlop was a well-known Australian surgeon and war hero. This quote mirrors the frustration I feel from time-to-time, as a consequence of having held numerous roles and been involved in various organisations and groups over the years.
Can't believe I haven't come across this one before. Very appropriate in the context you mentioned and one I can relate to!

(Jul-19-2010, 02:49 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]"There is no try, only do or do not."
--Yoda, Jedi Master
Heh how could I forget this one! I love this one too! It's one of the few quotes I CAN remember (cos I say it a lot hehehehehe)

(Jul-19-2010, 02:49 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]"This face isn't perfect but it suits me."
Hey I love it! Quoting fellow plenty-ers!

(Jul-19-2010, 02:49 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]"Feel the fear and do it anyway."
Hey weird coincidence, I thought of looking for this book in the library cos I thought the title sounded interesting. The fact you can't remember much about it now doesn't bode well for its life changing power though!
(Jul-19-2010, 02:49 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]"Oh bother!"
--Winnie the Pooh
What else can you expect from a bear of very little brain Smiling ?

Hahaha, love it.

(Jul-19-2010, 07:16 AM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: [ -> ]I just dug up my old notebook where I used to collect quotes. There's lots of room in it still...

Man I have ALWAYS wanted to do this... But always failed to continue doing so when I started. Maybe I should start... there is so much inspirational stuff out there.

Recent quote I heard that tickled my interest was
"We are all prisons to our beliefs"
Don't know where I got it from but It came from watching the movie Inception.
"For every complex question, there is a simple answer - and it's wrong."
H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10