thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: (General talk about) jokes and humour
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(Oct-14-2010, 08:44 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: [ -> ]Knock knock? Who's there? Mango. Mango who? (in indeterminate yet hilarious accent) Man go craaaazy when I knock on his door!

I lol'd
(Oct-14-2010, 11:17 AM (UTC))Liquid Ice Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct-14-2010, 08:44 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: [ -> ]Knock knock? Who's there? Mango. Mango who? (in indeterminate yet hilarious accent) Man go craaaazy when I knock on his door!
I lol'd

Bwahahha ...... a victim!!!! P
Wow my first joke, maybe I have an upcoming career in comedy?
*totally hi-jacks the thread*

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I've never really understood the knock-knock jokes. Could it be because I heard my first of the kind when I was about 20? They're usually told by kids right? I *do* get other kinds of kids' jokes, but I guess I just missed the initiation for these... Uhhuh
as far as 'thul knows, there is no useful point to them.
Mervi yes they are definitely for kids! The stupider the better is the general idea...
Oh not the kid, the joke!!
But maybe it doesn't hurt either way......

I don't recall hearing one that was particularly spectacular humour, but I have laughed at them many a time. Not sure if it's a cultural thing.... 'sick' jokes..... not in bad taste but 'not actually funny but you laugh because they are so lame' ... sorta ...
I've nothing against stupid humour. Big Grin Or kid's jokes. But there's usually something you have to figure out about a certain set of jokes. Like once you crack the "how do you know a banana has gone swimming" riddle
you can answer many more "how do you know" jokes.
It's just that I don't "get" the knock-knock ones. I suspect it's a language barrier thing.
Hehehe the banana one is cute.

Yeah, what I was trying to say is the sort of humour where there is NOTHING to figure out, that's it exactly.

I think the classic example is 'Why did the chicken cross the road?'

But some knock, knock jokes probably DO have a an actual 'joke' to them, and that IS often (always?) a play on words of some sort. So it's possibly a language barrier? It's hard for me to even remember English isn't your native language when you are perfectly fluent in it, but I suppose there ARE some weird little sayings and nuances in English. Especially the Australian version! (or so I am told)
(Oct-15-2010, 02:09 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: [ -> ]But some knock, knock jokes probably DO have a an actual 'joke' to them, and that IS often (always?) a play on words of some sort. So it's possibly a language barrier? It's hard for me to even remember English isn't your native language when you are perfectly fluent in it, but I suppose there ARE some weird little sayings and nuances in English. Especially the Australian version! (or so I am told)
Blushing Err I'm really not! I'm just relatively good at not using words and phrases I don't know! P

But I just saw a knock-knock joke I thought I understood. It went
- knock knock
- who's there?
- you know
- you know, who?
- yes! AVADA KEDAVRA!

It's just that I think it would have worked better like this
- knock knock
- who's there?
- You Know Who
- YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
Hmmm how ironic, I don't get it!
I guess someone is known as 'you know who' and I don't know who that is!
Most of the characters in the Harry Potter books absolutely refuse to say the Evil Overlord's name (which is Voldemort), instead substituting it with "You-Know-Who". "Avada Kedavra" is one of the "unforgivable curses" in the story - it is used to kill your opponent.
Uh, I don't think I should try to explain this further. What I think I SHOULD do is to split all this jokes talk to a new conversation. P
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6