thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Adult literature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Warning, books about sex. Don't read if you don't like that]

Does anyone here read adult literature? I recently found out that one of my favourite writers, Mary Gentle, used to publish things she describes as 'women's erotic fiction', and since I love her 'normal' books, I must admit I'm somewhat intrigued by this, not sure I will order anything like that though.

Another erotic series I enjoy reading is the Summer Camp series by Nick Scipio (http://www.nickscipio.com), mainly because there is a lot of interesting stuff (life in the end '70s/begin '80s, architecture, culture, flying, life lessons) mixed in with the sex.

I think I've mentioned 'Lost girls' here before. It's a [very!] graphic novel by Alan Moore and Melinda Gebbie about Dorothy (Oz), Alice (Peter Pan) and Alice (in Wonderland). Lots of sex, including a chapter about the premiere of Le sacre du printemps. Not easy reading/viewing, but there are a lot of interesting techniques used to keep the sex parts interesting (e.g. a shadowplay which seems to depict all kind of sexual positions, but which are normal situations).
Not me, joost. I guess it's like heavy metal...I don't avoid it so much as just don't choose it, I suppose is the best way to put it.

I wouldn't call myself a prude though...and think I would read pretty much anything given it had a plot that interested me and characters I could immerse myself in (easy to say when that has not been tried and tested within this genre by the way! Big Grin ). I guess it depends on the context, and possibly the level of 'darkness' involved?

As you have pointed out with the Nick Scipio stuff, there could be plenty of other elements to draw a reader in (not that I have read those books) so it would depend on those other elements as well. For me, they would have to, by far, outweigh the inclusion of erotic elements, and the erotic elements would, in every case, have to be there to support the plot...not just be there for the sake of 'being there' and providing a Uhhuh Blink moment.

As a woman, the strength of the female characters and their roles would also be important to me...they'd need to have a mind! If someone were to recommend an adult literature novel based on all of that, I would give it a try, I think. Undecided

Painting myself into a corner, possibly the reason why I don't go looking for it is because sex is everywhere, in just about every medium I can think of, and usually pops up whenever I don't want to see it or hear it? I'd rather read about dragons! Big Grin
Reading books (or for that matter, watching movies) that are purely dedicated to the purpose of human procreational activities, is something these beings see little use in. To a large degree, they are generally shallow and provide minimal entertainment.

Stories where such actions happen, but where the main plot is something else, are more enjoyable. These beings do not mind such, so long as it is a good storyline of sufficient quality.

As can be derived from the above, these beings also prefer all of the involved characters to possess at least a minimum of intelligence. It is not very enjoyable with characters of the intelligence-level of the medium-sized rutabaga.
I have to echo the sentiment of the above posters. I do not specifically seek out works with sexual themes, but I don't mind them if there's a purpose to it. For instance, I am currently watching the tv series Rome, which features quite a lot of sex and explicit nudity. However, it's never gratuitous (Did I spell that right?) - there's a point to these scenes.

That being said, I have considered reading Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel books, which apparently have a lot of sex in them. Has anyone else here read those?
(Feb-14-2011, 09:14 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]As a woman, the strength of the female characters and their roles would also be important to me...they'd need to have a mind! If someone were to recommend an adult literature novel based on all of that, I would give it a try, I think. Undecided
I can recommend the Nick Scipio stories then, one of the main characters (Susan) is one of the most likeable and strong women I've come across in my recent reading.

I must admit that there is a lot I don't like in the SC stories (I don't like S&M or drug (ab)use for instance, so I basically skip the scenes involving that), and the sex isn't always supporting the story, but it's definitely a big part of the background (the first two books take place mostly in a nudist colony in the 70's).

I hope you haven't gotten the impression that I'm some sex crazed reader, but through the books I've mentioned (mainly SC and Lost girls) I've learned that an erotic novel can be much more than a bunch of sex scenes.
(Feb-14-2011, 09:15 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: [ -> ]I hope you haven't gotten the impression that I'm some sex crazed reader, but through the books I've mentioned (mainly SC and Lost girls) I've learned that an erotic novel can be much more than a bunch of sex scenes.

Not at all, joost!! Smiling

As for any genre, there is good and bad. Just as some people turn their noses up at fantasy, and therefore sadly forego the opportunity to read something of real value, people also run the risk of turning aside from a good read if they totally avoid all things labelled adult literature (and much the same could be said of refusing to ever watch an R-rated movie). As you have said, I imagine an erotic novel can be much more, just as fantasy can be so much more than magic and dragons. One element doesn't have to make it the only element within a well-written story.

I suppose the difference, for me at least, lies within the sifting process or working one's way through the bad to get to the good. I could stand ploughing my way through a pile of fantasy book to find something I liked but I couldn't willingly do that with adult books...and so I don't. If I saw something that interested me though, I'd pick it up and give it a try.

Hmm...I'm not sure if even that comment is fair (?) as it would be just as easy to come across a confronting sex scene in fantasy, or any other genre, as it would be in works labelled adult literature. A few things from 'Tandia' by Bryce Courtney come to mind, and by confronting I don't only mean the sex in itself but a reader's reaction to it and how they see it as affecting the character etc.

Still, sex as a subject is as worthy of inclusion in literature as any other social, physical, emotional or spiritual element. I don't think we can honestly say no to sex, at whatever level, and then happily sit through a chapter that contains a bloody battle or a murder at the hands of a knife-wielding lunatic. All is a part of human life. Smiling

I think this post has taken about two hours to construct in between other distractions!
Quote:it would be just as easy to come across a confronting sex scene in fantasy as it would be in works labelled adult literature.
I just remembered the story 'You, and you alone' from SoLaD. There's a lot of (gay) eroticism in that story. Unfortunately I didn't really like the main characters, so that story didn't really work for me.
(Feb-13-2011, 10:31 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone here read adult literature?

I'm not sure I've read much that would qualify...... I vaguely remember a few things but unfortunately they weren't very good!

(Feb-15-2011, 12:17 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:it would be just as easy to come across a confronting sex scene in fantasy as it would be in works labelled adult literature.
I just remembered the story 'You, and you alone' from SoLaD. There's a lot of (gay) eroticism in that story. Unfortunately I didn't really like the main characters, so that story didn't really work for me.

I didn't mind that story ..... that was actually by Jacqueline Carey. who wrote the Kushiel books Albertosaurus mentioned, and I am now considering giving them a go based on her short story.
I bought 'Ironwood 2', an erotic D&D graphic novel. Very graphic in some places actually. But I bought it because it was written by Bill Willingham, the writer of Fables and Jack of Fables. Now I have to find a normal priced copy of Ironwood 1....

My mom looked pretty weird when she saw the book though P.
I'm having a more in-depth perusal of the forum and this thread brought to mind a book I once bought, on good recommendation. I forget who the author was but I think it was called 'Dark Prince' or something along those lines. It was vampire fiction, so that appealed to me immediately and it did get off to a reasonably good start. The first 'sex scene' was quite explicit, no bad thing in itself, as I'm not averse to reading a bit of smut, but then it seemed like every other page had another sex scene, just as explicit, if not more so! Nor could I find a story of any substance amongst all the hanky panky and soon gave the book up as a bad job. Even the usually tireless vampire must have been exhausted after all that exercise! I was tired out after less than half the book and it wasn't a big book!

Pages: 1 2 3