thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: My thoughts on Shaman's Crossing (SPOILERS SC & LST)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finished Shaman's Crossing earlier today. So what did I think of it? Mostly, I like it. The more modern setting was interesting and the characters were as well-drawn as ever.

However, I have to admit that at times the book felt more like a really long prologue to me. There are hints of unrest among the nobles and the plainsmen, but most of the story is focused on Nevare's academy days, with little information of what goes on outside and little action. Not that ot bored me, don't get me wrong - Robin Hobb could write a book about two characters drinking tea for 800 pages straight and not only would I read it, I would probably also greatly enjoy it.

The magic's interesting too. Would have liked some information on the seances, though. Epiny's an interesting character, I hope we get more of her in the following books. Lastly, I hope Hobb is planning on making Caulder do a turn like Malta - I hated her at first, but by the end of The Liveship Traders, she had become one of my favorite characters. Hence my joy at Hobb's hinting that she will play a larger role in the upcoming Rain Wilds books.

Overall, it's the kind of quality read I've come to expect from Robin Hobb.
(Aug-11-2011, 11:00 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]Robin Hobb could write a book about two characters drinking tea for 800 pages straight and not only would I read it, I would probably also greatly enjoy it.

I couldn't help but nod! Big Grin In saying that, I wasn't overly concerned by there not being too much happening outside of the academy.

(Aug-11-2011, 11:00 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]Lastly, I hope Hobb is planning on making Caulder do a turn like Malta - I hated her at first, but by the end of The Liveship Traders, she had become one of my favorite characters. Hence my joy at Hobb's hinting that she will play a larger role in the upcoming Rain Wilds books.

Have added a LST spoiler tag in the thread title. This is interesting as, while I also expected Caulder to take a turn for the better, I never quite compared him with Malta in the beginning...but you're right! I'll be interested to hear what you think of him as you progress through the next two SS books. Smiling

I should also apologise. In my predictions thread I left little room for discussion from new readers of the series that would come after me...only those who had already finished the entire thing can really comment!

Have you gone on to Forest Mage?