thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Thoughts on Forest Mage, or: why the heck is there a fish on the cover? (SPOILERS)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like I stated in my previous topic, I could happily read 800 pages of characters doing nothing but drinking tea. However, I did at times feel that too little happened for long stretches of the story. If there are any flaws to a Robin Hobb story, it is that sometimes they tend to move a little too slowly. Too much time is spent on Nevare agonizing over choosing between the Gerninans and the Specks. Just how many times does that guy need to go into the forest, be seduced by the magic, and then walk right back to the cemetery?

However, I still enjoyed the story. Seeing Epiny and Spink again at Gettys was nice and expected, but Carsina, now that was a real surprise! Hitch was an interesting character who unfortunately got too little "screentime". All in all, this might be one of Hobb's bleakest books ever, and although she generally pulled it off well, it was sometimes a little wearying.

I do hope that Renegade's Magic will return characters like Caulder, Gord and Trist. It seems like a shame to build up such fascinating characters and then abandon them.

Oh, and Nevare's father is a bastard.
(Aug-22-2011, 01:27 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]However, I did at times feel that too little happened for long stretches of the story. If there are any flaws to a Robin Hobb story, it is that sometimes they tend to move a little too slowly.

I'll have to re-read these one day as I was very ill during the first read, and possibly too busy looking for RotE-ish links to become too bored! Big Grin I will have to get back to read them for their own sake.

(Aug-22-2011, 01:27 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]Carsina, now that was a real surprise!

Now she was a piece of work! Rant I can't say much more than that as I can't quite remember where things happened or when, and don't want to add a spoiler in here somewhere!

(Aug-22-2011, 01:27 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]Hitch was an interesting character who unfortunately got too little "screentime".

*nods* I was a fan of Hitch (at least, for most of the time) and agree that I'd have liked to have learned more about him.

(Aug-22-2011, 01:27 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]All in all, this might be one of Hobb's bleakest books ever,

Yes, this seems to be the general opinion of the majority of readers, going on reviews I've read elsewhere.

Hmm...Robin was asked if she would return to Gernia in the future but, as for RotE, said she would only if a good story came to her.

(Aug-22-2011, 01:27 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]I do hope that Renegade's Magic will return characters like Caulder, Gord and Trist.

Not telling! P

(Aug-22-2011, 01:27 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, and Nevare's father is a bastard.

Yes, I thought so too...

Gargh! I want you to forget Conan and get straight on to Renegade's Magic but you most likely need a break from forest scenes! Sleeping

I can't believe I nearly forgot to respond to your thread title (which made me laugh! Clapping ).

I can't help because I'm still trying to work out why the heck there's a fish on the cover!
I do find that taking a break from really long stories is sometimes to the best. 800 pages is a lot of story, and can be a little overwhelming. Fear not, the Conan stories are fairly short, so it won't be long before I return to Gernia.

Speak of RotE links, I have to say that the structure of The Soldier Son vaguely reminds me of The Farseer.

(Aug-23-2011, 08:19 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]Let me explain...

Ah, yes, yes indeedy...after you get through RM, you'll be able to take a look at the Gernia vs RotE thread and we can chat about such matters some more. Smiling

I certainly will.
I emailed Robin Hobb about this... and actually got a swift reply. I'm sure she won't mind me sharing this with you guys:

Robin Hobb Wrote:Oh, I was puzzled by the fish at first, too.

Then I recalled using a metaphor in the book, saying that reaching for the magic was like reaching under an overgrown stream bank to try to catch a speckled trout hiding in the shadows.

And there he is, on the cover!

Best wishes,

Robin Hobb

And thanks for your comments and query!

It's interesting to note, though, that this metaphor is actually first used in... Renegade's Magic.
Oh, nice one, AR! Clapping

Funnily enough I did think of a 'speckled trout' (as that was the only fish it reminded me of) but I couldn't recall anything of significance in the books about one, unless there was a connection with the Specks or something that I had missed...

...good to have that cleared!

Robin is back from Worldcon by the sounds so a good time to catch her. Smiling

(Aug-24-2011, 10:18 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [ -> ]It's interesting to note, though, that this metaphor is actually first used in... Renegade's Magic.

Big Grin