thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Logging In and Email thread subscriptions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Two suggestions on things I've noticed:

1. No matter what page you're on in the Forums, if you type in your Username/Password in the horizontal fields at the top, it always spits you to the Main Forum page after login.

This is especially frustrating when I'm 7 pages deep in a thread I accessed from an Email Link (and thus don't remember in which sub-forum it was housed), and I want to reply, so I log in and BAM.. thread gone. Back to Forum Home page. Ouch

Any plans to have that changed so it keeps you on your current page after login? Please? Lol Flowers

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand while this next one doesn't bother me so much, I figured it was worth a mention:

2. Thread subscription emails & spoilers. If someone replies to a thread to which you're subscribed and happen to start OUT their reply with a spoiler tag, the email notification you receive doesn't show the Spoiler warning with the "Click Here" thing. It actually shows the beginning of the spoiler tag ITSELF along with the spoiler information that's supposed to be hidden.

Example (without real spoilers):

'thul has just replied to a thread which you have subscribed to at thePlenty.net Forums. This thread is titled A Song of Ice and Fire discussion.

Here is an excerpt of the message:
------------------------------------------
[spoiler]Here is where the 'thul beings or someone else will type their spoilers which will so conveniently be hidden on the forums but when you get the email.... (visit the thread to read more..)
------------------------------------------

To view the thread, you can go to the following URL:
Yep, I can see how that would be very annoying...especially the second one, for someone like me who hates spoilers!! Rant

I haven't subscribed to any threads for a long, long time now as I used to be in so many conversations that my Inbox would get clogged! P As such, these problems haven't reared their heads since I've taken on mod duties.

All of this kind of stuff is out of my hands though so I have passed it on to Mervi. Thanks heaps for those suggestions Valarya!! Slurp
No problem! I love the site and just thought I could help improve on a couple of tiny design flaws. Smiling
Thanks very much for both suggestions, Valarya. I think they're both issues with the forum script, and could possibly already have been addressed in the latest updates (that I haven't been able to install just yet). I will try to look into both issues at some point, but unfortunately I can't promise a swift fix.
Its surprising how many things can change when forum script is updated. The number of things that improve unexpectedly (unless one reads script notes) are always nice.

you should join the discussions more, mervi...
(Jan-27-2012, 07:56 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: [ -> ]Two suggestions on things I've noticed:

1. No matter what page you're on in the Forums, if you type in your Username/Password in the horizontal fields at the top, it always spits you to the Main Forum page after login.
Workaround:
After logging in and reaching the 'you're logged in, you'll be redirected, if impatient click here' page, press backspace and reload.
(Feb-04-2012, 01:36 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: [ -> ]Workaround:
After logging in and reaching the 'you're logged in, you'll be redirected, if impatient click here' page, press backspace and reload.

I do that sometimes, Joost. Smiling

I also just wait until I reply, click reply, it asks me to login - and takes me straight to the reply screen. That way isn't so bad. Proud

These beings operate with a far simpler 'solution'... They don't subscribe.

Have you tried it in different internet browsers? Might it be working better in another?
I've edited the bits of the code that send out subscription emails. There should no more be any excerpts at all, whether it is a thread or a forum you've subscribed to.