thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Latest changes to the forum & its features
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Right folks, Im back and armed again with a ~proper computer and an Internet connection that doesn't make me sweat about data usage! Clapping
I know things have gotten quite stale here over the past couple of years and I really want to apologize for that. I will start fixing things slowly, and I think the forums are the first priority - seeing that you lovely people still hang around in here. Grouphug

So, I'll be upgrading the forum software in a couple of days - SUNDAY the 7TH OF APRIL. You can expect
- downtime
- things being wonky when the forum is back up
- everything looking different
- some features not working
- lots of new things to play with

The above is a gentle warning, because with upgrades there are always changes (last time I did a major upgrade I had to abandon a theme that was a favourite of many because it simply wasn't compatible with the code anymore).

If there are any major hiccups (such as the whole process taking much longer), I will be posting about them at twitter. If you've got an account, simply follow @theplentynet - if you have no idea what twitter even is, just bookmark http://twitter.com/theplentynet and you're good to go.

Afterwards, we can use this topic for all the "where is/this looks awful/cool buttons/bugs!!" talk.

Oh, and... wish me luck? Surrender
(Apr-05-2013, 06:19 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: [ -> ]So, I'll be upgrading the forum software in a couple of days - SUNDAY the 7TH OF APRIL. You can expect
- lots of new things to play with

Yay! Can't wait to see the new digs. Clapping

(Apr-05-2013, 06:19 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: [ -> ]The above is a gentle warning, because with upgrades there are always changes

Thanks. I like gentle warnings. Slurp

(Apr-05-2013, 06:19 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, and... wish me luck? Surrender

Good luck!!
looking forward to it. (the upgrades, not the downtime)

It looks like some posts disappeared overnight. I'm fairly certain that I and astagg (and possibly others) answered theurgh in the BOD thread.
(Apr-08-2013, 09:51 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like some posts disappeared overnight. I'm fairly certain that I and astagg (and possibly others) answered theurgh in the BOD thread.

I also had a post disappear, but it wasn't anything important - so that's good. P
These beings also had one disappear. But they posted a new one based on what it was supposed to contain.

Mervi, would it be possible to decrease the timer between posts just a little?
Hmm, that is indeed weird because I saw that 'thul post before it disappeared (but I'm fairly certain AFTER) the upgrade - which would mean it is an unrelated glitch (I'm thinking our hosting company restoring an earlier backup).

I'll look into the timer setting. To be honest, it's been such a long time (around two years!) since I've done heavy work on this site that I've forgotten about how most things have been set up! Blushing
*Chuckle*

It bears all the markings of a backup restoration. Perhaps it is listed in the logs?

Having a timer to prevent accidental duplicate (or even triplicate) posts is a very useful thing, but having it on more than a few seconds, let alone around 20-30, doesn't really make sense.
The brand new archive seems to have gone to the digital heaven too.
Yeah, those threads are back here in this room.

The problem is, if I ask my host to resolve this (they make automatic backups so in theory could reverse us to when those messages were posted), we'll loose all changes after *that*. I don't think it's worth it.
Pages: 1 2 3