thePlenty.net Forums
Big upgrade on March 8th & the aftermath conversation ;) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Big upgrade on March 8th & the aftermath conversation ;) (/thread-263.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Scheduled downtime next Tuesday March 8th - Mervi - Mar-09-2011

The wiki has now been upgraded as well!

There are a few issues I'm aware of after a short browsing. However, it's 2:30AM here and I think I should try to get some sleep (possibly of several nights Whistling ) before trying to solve them:

- the Robin Hobb covers gallery gives an error. The other two galleries are fine (except one French ML cover image is broken). fixed

- there seems to be a tightened security setting enabled for editing pages - you might need to authenticate your email address before being able to edit anything. Go to "my preferences" on the left (under "personal tools"), the email settings are in the first tab.

- there doesn't seem to be a link for emailing forgotten passwords - I'll try to figure out this one ASAP, I need it regularly! Big Grin

The forum/wiki authentication SHOULD work again. If you've created your forum account BEFORE February 16th and your username does not contain characters like _ or ' you should be able to login to the wiki with the same nick and password you use here. Same goes for new forum accounts created after today. If you created your forum account during the past three weeks, you need to create your wiki account manually (you can of course choose a different name if you want to!).

RE: Scheduled downtime next Tuesday March 8th - Albertosaurus Rex - Mar-09-2011

Well, this new look takes some getting used to. And yeah, the dragon's footing isn't aligned correctly for me either.

It was time to shed our skin. Wink But if you guys want, you can follow 'thul's example and revert back to a really old look by going to your user cp > edit options > board style (under "Other Options") and switch from "Royal Blue" to "N.Design". (Remember to click "update options" before you leave that page). I can not guarantee it will work with all the features since it was designed for an older version of the forums software though. It's unfortunate that some old things will always get left behind with updates, but it was way past time to upgrade the software - if for no other reason than keeping things more secure against malicious use.
When I have more time, I'll look into other skins designed for this version of the software and add more options for you to choose from.

RE: Scheduled downtime next Tuesday March 8th - Nuytsia - Mar-09-2011

Can't wait to try out all the new bits!

RE: Scheduled downtime next Tuesday March 8th - 'thul - Mar-09-2011

you should fix that news script... its kept adding out-dated news as topics in http://forums.theplenty.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5

The most recent news items are at the bottom of the list now...

Yeah, it's set to check out the RSS feed every hour and apparently thinks that since there are no new news, it's best to post some old ones. 22 I've requested support for the plugin since I couldn't figure it out myself.

I've found several other smaller issues with the forum as well, but since they're pretty superficial and since I'll have to stop playing a nerd and get back to real life in a few minutes they will have to wait. I need to ask everyone to be patient - I will get back to fixing and tweaking as soon as possible.

RE: Scheduled downtime next Tuesday March 8th - 'thul - Mar-09-2011

silly plugin...

RE: Scheduled downtime next Tuesday March 8th - Mervi - Apr-04-2011

Well, the RSS plugin seems to have got enough of history and has been behaving well lately. And I've just updated the "while you were typing" plugin which should now NOT warn you when you're editing your own posts that "someone else" (=you) is typing at the same time. Big Grin

ETA: I've also fixed some (not all) layout problems, merged stylesheets so that we're again using same colours for links here as elsewhere on the site and made some improvements (hopefully!) to the appearance of the navigation bit in the forum rooms.

RE: Big upgrade on March 8th & the aftermath conversation ;) - Mervi - Apr-05-2011

I'm testing a new feature of the upgraded script which shows links to "similar" threads in the forum at the bottom of each topic. There's a setting I can tinker with that should affect the relevancy, so it might take some time before I can get it to work properly.

RE: Big upgrade on March 8th & the aftermath conversation ;) - Farseer - Apr-05-2011

To be painfully honest, the last post is one of the few that I can understand, and can therefore respond to. Big Grin The rest of it, I was staring at the screen Uhhuh Blink , feeling a headache moving into and residing inside my skull!

I think having similar thread links is a FANTASTIC idea, Flowers and I was only thinking the other day that it's a pity we can't merge some that are very closely related...this option sounds far better though! Love it!