thePlenty.net Forums
Arts & Crafts - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Arts & Crafts (/thread-160.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Arts & Crafts - Nuytsia - Feb-03-2011

What sort of wood do you use? (what type of tree?)

RE: Arts & Crafts - Farseer - Feb-03-2011

Who is the flagpole for 'thul?

As for our previous discussion re forests, it seems that my minimal usage and definition of the term is likely to be due to a bit of a regional quirk, like 'crawchie'. I possibly tend to call all Australian treed areas 'scrub' because I grew up in a region covered in what is known as gidyea scrub!!

In the context of Nuytsia's pictured example, I must admit that I would probably still term it 'scrub' in an everyday conversation or context eg "Do you want to go for a walk through the scrub?". If I were speaking to someone in a very formal manner though, and drawing specific attention to the types of trees that dominated the area, I would most likely term it a forest but only in conjunction with a preceding adjective such as Eucalypt eg "Such beauty is found in our unique, Eucalypt forests."

Strangely (though I seem to do many things strangely...but don't feel as if you must agree!), I would also formally term the region far to the north of us as 'forest country' but that's just because it's the title for that land type, just as our flat, rolling, mostly treeless country is called the 'Downs country'. 22

Moving on...Uhhuh...

A friend came back from Tasmania and, while she didn't mention anything about fast-moving clouds, she was in awe of the massive, straight trees there. Is your forest yours to use, Nuytsia, or is it National Park or owned by someone else?

I must agree with 'thul...it is a nice bit of scrub-cum-forest you have there! Smiling

RE: Arts & Crafts - 'thul - Feb-03-2011

The flagpole is for the local student scouting troop, and these beings will also paint the banner as soon as design for it is decided upon... (the banner is not of the sort that is easily weakened, seeing that it is at the moment 99.9% duct tape and 0.1% remains of previous paint...

Currently the estimated weight of flag and pole is about 1.7 kg, of which 600g is the flag... (4 layers of duct tape, 78x56cm)

As for the type of wood, these beings are uncertain. They are trying to identify it, but it will take some time... No leaves, barely any branches and only fairly narrow strips of bark.

RE: Arts & Crafts - Farseer - Feb-04-2011

(Feb-03-2011, 04:38 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: The flagpole is for the local student scouting troop,

I thought as much. Such an inspired idea to make the flagpole from scratch!

As soon as I saw the word 'flagpole', I assumed it must have been for Scouts or Guides. As I type, I am working on my Lone Guide Unit's On-Air program for the year (and giving my daughter a spelling test...talk about multi-tasking!). Smiling

I have kept some window frames from the old house and hope to turn them into some country-looking photo frames over the coming weekend....or should I say 'year'!

I've just realised your pottery bowl matches your tiles, Nuytsia, in that they all feature gum leaves. Was this on purpose or, like Wintrow, is your inner self simply coming out through your artworks? P

RE: Arts & Crafts - 'thul - Feb-04-2011

Its more related to economy than inspiration. Why pay considerable amount of money for a flag pole that might just not fit, when you can make one that fits perfectly for free? The opportunity to decorate it is also helpful.

RE: Arts & Crafts - 'thul - Feb-04-2011

One potential tree type it could be is Aspen, but it could also be one of 4-5 others common to this region.

RE: Arts & Crafts - Nuytsia - Feb-06-2011

Oh no worries, I was just curious! It's probably unlikely to be anything that would commonly occur in Australia anyway Wink
(Feb-03-2011, 03:21 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: As for our previous discussion re forests, it seems that my minimal usage and definition of the term is likely to be due to a bit of a regional quirk, like 'crawchie'.

Ahhh interesting. I think of 'scrub' as a more disparaging term than 'forest' - eg when people are trying to downplay the conservation value of a patch of 'bush' (there's another term for it!) they might say something like 'oh it's just some scrub' ....I'm thinking I've picked this up mainly from Perth (as it would seem to be work related for me). I can't really recall specific examples from when I was in Melbourne, but in some ways I feel 'forest' conjures up a somewhat more European landscape than an Australian one?
Farseer I think I agree that I'd more likely use 'forest' in a more formal way, or say when I'm specifically talking about the environmental characteristics of an area ....... although I wouldn't say 'Do you want to go for a walk through the scrub?', I probably wouldn't say 'Do you want to go for a walk through the forest?' either!!!! Geeees I dunno what I'd say!

(Feb-03-2011, 03:21 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: A friend came back from Tasmania and, while she didn't mention anything about fast-moving clouds, she was in awe of the massive, straight trees there. Is your forest yours to use, Nuytsia, or is it National Park or owned by someone else?

Hehehe I must admit I've seen some fast clouds lately...... and yes I love the big trees! I grew up in Victoria so was kind of used to visiting areas like that, and it was a bit of a rude shock when I went to Perth as the forest (!) there is much more open and dry with smaller trees. Yes the trees in the pic is my forest to use! Yay! (I find it hard to believe sometimes!)

(Feb-04-2011, 12:10 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I have kept some window frames from the old house and hope to turn them into some country-looking photo frames over the coming weekend....or should I say 'year'!
I've just realised your pottery bowl matches your tiles, Nuytsia, in that they all feature gum leaves. Was this on purpose or, like Wintrow, is your inner self simply coming out through your artworks? P

Wooo they would be some impressive sized photo frames! (unless you had very tiny windows?)
A bit of both with the gum leaf motif! I just felt like using gum leaves ...... I do like designs inspired by nature!

RE: Arts & Crafts - Farseer - Feb-10-2011

(Jan-25-2011, 11:55 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: ps 'thul, with your new measurements, your walking stick is my exact height

Community message to follow:

LOST

Three centimetres (3cm)

Somewhere between Oct 2010 and Feb 2011

Please contact the rapidly-aging Farseer, if found

My daughter was graphing the heights of members of our family so we each had to remeasure ourselves...my husband had to measure me three times before I believed him when he said I was now only *gasp* 161cm! Crying

RE: Arts & Crafts - 'thul - Feb-10-2011

hmm... now thats impractical... was it perchance late in the day the measurements were made?
If so, try doing it again, first thing in the morning after a good night's sleep...

RE: Arts & Crafts - Nuytsia - Feb-12-2011

You can't have lost 3cm !!!!!!!!!!!!!