thePlenty.net Forums
National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) (/thread-210.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - 'thul - Feb-22-2012

These beings respectfully disagree.

RE: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - fool-ish - Feb-22-2012

Ok I respect your decision

RE: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - 'thul - Feb-22-2012

or is it that you truly want dragons watching you from afar?

RE: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - fool-ish - Feb-23-2012

Dragons will do what they like either way, so it matters not whether us humans truly want it or not

RE: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - 'thul - Feb-23-2012

That is true.

RE: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - Valarya - Feb-23-2012

(Feb-22-2012, 12:31 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: what foods from home would you miss while you were on an extended overseas trip?

I generally eat cuisine that ISN'T bred in America on a daily basis, lol. Thai food, Japenese, Mexican, German, Chinese & Irish. Although if I were on a super extended trip away from America, I think I'd miss the following the most:

meat & threes
biscuits and sawmill Gravy
Ben & Jerry's
BBQ pork
Maggie Moo's

(Feb-22-2012, 12:31 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I think I'd be feeling like I was dangling above death's door if I had to live without

Milo (I drink copious amounts every day!)
Tim Tams
Vegemite

Oh ew ew eww!! Ouch Vegemite is some of the nastiest stuff I have ever eaten, hahah. In fact, a singer/artist I follow in Twitter and through her blogs made an extended stay in Australia during a tour once and she even wrote a song about how putrid Vegemite is because she hated it so much, hahah. P

(Feb-22-2012, 12:31 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: and I would very much miss

Golden Circle red cordial
Twisties
ANZAC biscuits
lamingtons
Chicos
Fantales

I have never heard of any of these and have no clue what they are! Big Grin

RE: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - fool-ish - Feb-23-2012

We have Marmite over here, same sort of goo as Vegemite. It's supposed to be really good for you, full of vitamin B. However, I've tasted it and I firmly believe that it is a form of poison, it's that vile! My son loves the stuff..strange boy

RE: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - 'thul - Feb-23-2012

[spoiler=These beings hope the "Milo" you drink is not the "Milo" they are familiar with.]
[Image: 0717107489.jpg]
Yes, that is a laundry detergent specially suited for washing wool, if you're in doubt.[/spoiler]

RE: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - Farseer - Feb-24-2012

^ Big Grin Ah, too funny, 'thul!!! No, I'm not in the habit of drinking wool wash P ... this is the Milo I consume and I daresay it would be far nicer than yours!

@ Fool-ish: I'm siding with your son! I love Vegemite but even the smell of either Marmite and Promite has me heaving...blecky...it's DISGUSTING!!

@ Valarya: Vegemite reactions are always interesting! Smiling Years ago my sons and I corresponded with a couple of Year Five classes from Prince Edward Island (Canada for those of you who don't know...not to mention the home of Anne of Green Gables, which is why we were corresponding with them in the first place). We would parcels of 'Aussie stuff' over there now and then but the very first thing I sent were individual samples of Vegemite. Half loved it and wanted more, and others hated it. I can see why people wouldn't like it but, when you grow up with it, I guess it just becomes a part of you? I eat it often, especially on toast. I also use it in casseroles, rissoles etc. Just not having it sit in my pantry makes me feel less at home somehow!

Twisties

ANZAC Biscuits - at least I could make these while overseas, if I had the ingredients Smiling

Product description for Fantales : "Allen Fantales. One of Australia's favourite lollies. Chewy caramel with a rich milk chocolate coating." They come individually wrapped and there is always a piece of movie/movie star/entertainment trivia on the outside.

Chicos are like jelly babies but instead they are chocolate flavoured.

Tim Tams, reading the wiki article, seem to have exported into various forms so maybe I would not have to miss them so much! Clapping

Raspberry cordial - the only brand worth drinking is Golden Cirlce by the way - is a drink that you add cold water to...great for a hot day! My son's Amercian friends said that it was kind of like some drink they had at home...can't remember the name but I think it had the word 'pop' in it? Cordial isn't fizzy, just flavoursome...

Lamingtons, which I could also make away from home, if I had the ingredients available.

RE: National cuisines (recipes welcome!) - 'thul - Feb-24-2012

Good. Otherwise these beings would truly have begun to question your sanity.

These beings are pondering baking a cake tomorrow, but considering that their mangoes are not exactly soft yet, they may decide to wait a while. (found cheap mangoes. Normally they cost 13 crowns apiece (or more), now it was two for 10 crowns)