thePlenty.net Forums
Arts & Crafts - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Arts & Crafts (/thread-160.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Arts & Crafts - Farseer - Feb-13-2011

I said the same thing (!!!), and have been thinking it ever since! Dodgy I feel liked I've been robbed, or worse, Forged!!

It seems to be true and I can't explain it. The last time I measured myself in October, I was still the same height of 164cm that I had been for my whole adult life and am now only measuring at 161cm (even after frantic, multiple, subsequent remeasures, at varying times of the day...though thanks for the tip, 'thul beings Wink ).

I was having a whinge about it to a friend, who is at least a decade older than I, and she was unsurprised. The same thing had apparently happened to both her and her husband, and many others that she knew. I'm still trying to decide if that made me feel better or not! Undecided

A little net surfing has resulted in my finding that height loss as we age is quite normal though not inevitable (going on the info provided, of course). Some studies have shown that it tends to begin around age thirty and then accelerates with age, with both men and women being affected. On average, men lose a total of 3cm while women lose 5cm as they seem to lose it at a greater rate.

Of course, a significant and/or rapid height loss could be attributed to something such as osteoporosis. Some also attribute it to body mass -the greater your mass the more height you lose.

I highly doubt that I would have osteoporosis as I consume more than my fair share of milk and dairy products each day, and our bore (artesian) water also contains high levels of calcium. My posture is also still good (actually, my husband would tell you it's ramrod straight! Proud ). I have certainly put on a few kgs over the last seven or eight years but I have remained well within a healthy weight range based on my BMI.

Still, I do have a couple of upper and lower herniated discs and these may well be contributing to the problem. A few years ago I was given the option to operate but made the decision to withstand the pain and not do anything about them until my daughter was older (as per my doctor's advice regarding potential problems with the upper-most disc). Looks like I may have to book another visit just to keep an eye on things, and to off-set all of this self-diagnosing!!!

Fair dinkum, here I am sharing my medical woes with you all...possibly more evidence of my aging! Blushing Big Grin

RE: Arts & Crafts - 'thul - Feb-13-2011

to regain height, and maybe even gain some more, book a few sessions on the Rack...

it might be severely painful, but it does stretch out the body...

RE: Arts & Crafts - Farseer - Feb-13-2011

Big Grin Clapping

Maybe I could make my own, regain my height and then post a picture of it here as evidence of my skills in arts and crafts...?!

I read "loud popping noises" and that was enough for me! Ouch

RE: Arts & Crafts - redchild - Feb-14-2011

Cut the first three cm's off your ruler.

RE: Arts & Crafts - 'thul - Feb-14-2011

true... its known to be more harmful than anything else...

RE: Arts & Crafts - Farseer - Feb-14-2011

(Feb-14-2011, 05:16 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: Cut the first three cm's off your ruler.

Problem solved! Yay

RE: Arts & Crafts - 'thul - Feb-14-2011

Or you could start measuring your height using a different unit of measurement...
'thul recommends the attoparsec...

1 attoParsec = 3.08568025 centimeters

RE: Arts & Crafts - 'thul - Feb-17-2011

These beings have now finished with phase two of creating that banner staff. Along 175cm of its length, 'thul branded in a four-threaded braid pattern that scrolls around the staff.

The basic pattern is much like this image:
[Image: oatmeal_black_12strandbraidlarge.JPG]

Along the length of the staff, there are now 62 of those central intersection points as you can see in the image...

Next step is to make it waterproof so that it will neither warp further nor rot when exposed to the elements.

RE: Arts & Crafts - Farseer - Feb-17-2011

Wow, that would be a lot of intricate work involved there, 'thul! VERY nice!! Slurp

RE: Arts & Crafts - 'thul - Feb-18-2011

These beings may have to insert another step in between. Since it has been drying, the wood has started warping and becoming twisted. 'thul may have to steam it and straighten it out again.