thePlenty.net Forums
Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) (/thread-100.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Farseer - Aug-18-2010

As well as creating art through sculptures, tapestries and other objects etc, Elderlings were known for their plays and music etc, weren't they? I am sure there was a stage or two mentioned in Homecoming and also the LST books in Trehaug somewhere, where Elderlings once held performances?

I only bring this up as I have just been thinking of Thick. While he is obviously talented in Skill-healing, he also has a significant talent that I haven't, until now, even considered a 'talent' as such...his music. Would you agree that since his ability to create such music is directly related to his Skill ability, it could therefore be an off-shoot or example of Elderling musical talent? As well as his Skilled music, he is able to play the whistle...

While all Elderlings apparently had the ability to Skill, and therefore create simulacra artforms, it seems that they may also have had their own individual and unique talents? eg Wintrow can create stained-glass windows, Thick has his music, Nettle can create dreams, Fitz creates change (not to mention his inks and scrollwork etc)...??

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - 'thul - Aug-18-2010

There was at least one stage in the city below trehaug, yes...

These beings would presume that both elderlings and dragons have unique talents, both in the skill and elsewhere... One of the serpents that died were after all referred to as a bard/singer... It would just not be natural for all Elderlings to have identical abilities... Not when dragons considered their elderlings to be works of art...

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Farseer - Nov-07-2010

Hmm, just going back to Kennit's charm...

In SOM, Reyn gives a dream-box to Malta. Of this box Ronica says,"There is one thing more you should know about a dream-box, Keffria. They are not common items. Each one is individually made, keyed to a certain person...one thing I do know is that to create one, the maker must begin with a personal item from the intended recipient..."

This suggests to me that a hedge-witch must make dream-boxes...who else could 'key' one to an individual?

Could this then possibly suggest that the person who created Kennit's charm may have been a hedge-witch as well, with the charm keyed to him? Or was the charm not keyed to him, just simply carved in his likeness?

I will have to think on this some more...!

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - assasin - Nov-08-2010

In my opinion the charm quickened like that becuase it was on his wrist for a year.

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - 'thul - Nov-08-2010

It quickened because it had soaked up enough memories.

While a ship needs three lifetimes worth, a small charm needs far less...

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Farseer - Nov-10-2010

(Nov-07-2010, 03:18 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Could this then possibly suggest that the person who created Kennit's charm may have been a hedge-witch as well, with the charm keyed to him? Or was the charm not keyed to him, just simply carved in his likeness?

In Chapter One of SOM it says, "The carver had needed absolute silence for his concentration, for he worked not only wood but a spell that would bind the charm to protect the wearer from enchantments."

In this, it was most likely a hedge-witch who did the carving and it possibly also suggests that the charm finally quickened when it did because that was when it was first required to protect Kennit from the enchantment of the Others' path (which happens later in the chapter). After all, this is the very reason why Kennit had the charm made in the first place...so he could finally go in safety to Others' Island.
Oops, I forgot to add that the charm was anchored by a "double thong of black leather" to Kennit's wrist so that, by its piercings at its brow and jaw, it "snugged firmly against his wrist, exactly over his pulse point."

Possibly this positioning over his pulse point was also significant in either/both of the binding or quickening process?

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Farseer - Apr-08-2011

(Jun-23-2010, 03:24 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Etta's contraceptive charm was "the size of an apple pip" with a thin thread of wire that pierced her navel. As it was in the shape of a skull, I just imagined that it may have an ability to verbally communicate UNLESS, if the skull is merely painted on or there is no shaped 'mouth' then, it could be similar to the Tarman in that it is unable to 'talk', as such.

As far as size goes, that Bolt felt it important enough to digest, rather than discard, possibly suggests that size doesn't really matter with wizardwood (at least as far as its ability to store memory goes)? If it did, why would the dragons etc be concerned by the fact that humans strive to obtain even a sliver of it?

In saying that, possibly the size does affect the capacity for communicative ability? Etta also hires the charm from the owner of the brothel so that may be a factor as well?

This is part of an old discussion but I had forgotten that Althea, too, had worn one of these wizardwood contraceptive charms. What is interesting is that while Etta hired hers, Althea's had been given to her by her sister, Keffria - a Bingtown Trader's daughter who would have been aware of her father's distaste for such magic and also would have been aware of the illegal use of the wizardwood, not to mention that she'd have known it was no doubt illegally sourced/stolen from her Rain Wild kin?

Hmm...it's also interesting knowing that both these ladies had made use of such charms and then later still conceived and gave birth to healthy sons (who possibly may even grow to become Elderlings?), particularly given Malta's problems in that area. Obviously there were no long-term effects from the use of the charms eg not being able to conceive, and possibly there were even some benefits?

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - 'thul - Apr-08-2011

Aha! These beings have just gotten a ping on the idea behind how those charms work...

What happens to humans when they are close to dragons over time?
They turn towards becoming elderlings.

Now 'thul have had a long-lasting theory that half-elderlings are incapable of conceiving living children and that unborn fetuses are more heavily affected by the dragons...

Now if you look at those two things, then add in the fact that Wizardwood is the stuff of dragons, what do you get?

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - 'thul - Jun-16-2011

These beings just re-read this thread and noted one thing... those comments about hedge-witches only ones capable of making such charms... That puts hedge wizardry smack in the middle of obvious Elderling ancestry...

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - redchild - Jun-17-2011

I believe hedge-magic is described as a magic older than Elderling magic. There is a passage in Fool's Errand where Nighteyes is repulsed by the ancient magic of the anti-predator charm worn by the Fool.