thePlenty.net Forums
Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) (/thread-100.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Gielske - Feb-14-2012

I dont believe elderling can't have baby's. In SoD Tintaglia says "Reyn, if you find a mate, and if you can father children, you will get the next generation of Elderlings" Dragon have long memories, so she wouldn't say that if elderling can't get baby's.

The traders in Bingtown and the Rain Wilds do have trouble having children. But my personal opinion is more that this is because of the toxic water and other living conditions they live in. And ofcourse they abandom baby's if they don't look human enough and call it a miscarriage. This doesn't mean the baby is actually stilborn

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Valarya - Feb-14-2012

(Feb-14-2012, 04:44 PM (UTC))Gielske Wrote: I dont believe elderling can't have baby's. In SoD Tintaglia says "Reyn, if you find a mate, and if you can father children, you will get the next generation of Elderlings" Dragon have long memories, so she wouldn't say that if elderling can't get baby's.

I most certainly agree Elderlings can have babies. I don't think that point was ever contested. P But I suspect Tintaglia assumed she'd be around helping with the new dragons and whatnot. It's a good quote to bring to mind, though.

I don't know if you've clicked on the CoD spoilers 'thul and I were throwing around, but there's some interesting points in there, too.

(Feb-14-2012, 04:44 PM (UTC))Gielske Wrote: The traders in Bingtown and the Rain Wilds do have trouble having children. But my personal opinion is more that this is because of the toxic water and other living conditions they live in. And ofcourse they abandom baby's if they don't look human enough and call it a miscarriage. This doesn't mean the baby is actually stilborn

Again, if you looked at the spoilers in the last two posts you'll see I completely disagree with this. Smiling I think every one born "heavily touched by the Rain Wilds" are part-Elderling... changed to partial not-human by close proximity to so much dragon magic.

Stirring

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Gielske - Feb-14-2012

I'm listening to DH now. After I'm through CoD I'll read the spoilers but not sooner. However for now I'll refrain from joining this discussion until I've done that Big Grin

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Valarya - Feb-14-2012

(Feb-14-2012, 04:53 PM (UTC))Gielske Wrote: However for now I'll refrain from joining this discussion until I've done that Big Grin

Nooooo!!!! Please join in ALL the discussions!! We like discussing every point of this story, not just the new parts. Big Grin

Dance

I'll wait. It won't be long. My ipod plays over 8-12 hours a day, so I'll be through the RWC's in no time

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - 'thul - Feb-14-2012

It is common knowledge that Elderlings can have children. Tintaglia said so in the liveship books. 'thul's theory around inability of having children ranges around those that are neither human nor elderling, but in transition in between. More about it within spoiler.

(Feb-14-2012, 05:21 PM (UTC))thul Wrote:

Gah, 'thul beings I still completely disagree with you.

---------

(Feb-14-2012, 05:21 PM (UTC))thul Wrote:

I think you're going way off track with this, but that's just my opinion. P

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - 'thul - Feb-14-2012

I like your response, 'thul beings. Smiling

RE: Elderling Creations Theory (Spoilers through all the books and Dragon Haven) - Bleach3825 - Apr-26-2012

WOW. A lot to talk about. I'll bring up what first brought me here and that is that I think the link between Dragon and their keepers is a lot more Wit and much less skill. Think about the two dragons that didn't really have a mind when they first took up up the Rain Wild River but after bonding Rapskal and Sedric they improved more and more until they were able to speak like the other dragons and humans. Isn't this the same way that Nighteyes and other animals who have bonded with the wit also become smarter and more human then their counterparts? And while the dragons would be not be happy to hear it. They are very much human thinking. All that power and ability would swell any humans head. However, Not all animals have the ability to bond so you have to find one that is both capable and wants such a thing. Fitz's talks about this a few times in "Golden Fool". One good example that comes to mind is his horse "Myblack" and how he said right away that he knew he would never be able to bond with him and that the horse didn't even really like Fitz's trying to speak with him so he just used more animal impulses to get the horse to do what he wanted. This is similar to how the dragons have said that not all humans are good for bonding but I think that might just be more because they know what's in a person heart and if they are a good person or not.