thePlenty.net Forums
*spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? (/thread-102.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - assasin - Mar-15-2011

Definately hope that the next rote book would be about the exxpedition coloonising kelsingra.

The one thing I was disapointed on is povs. There are so many characters who sound so interestinbg. I would really enjoy to read about sylve an mercors relatioiship from the pov of sylve.

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Lady Laura - Mar-15-2011

I agree, Sylve really interested me too Big Grin I'd also love to read Carson's pov, and Greft's pov in DK/DH would have provided another side to his character. Same for Hest, being a "bad guy", from what I've seen in Liveship, Hobb is wonderful at making us sympathise and understand characters. Although, I dont want to feel sorry for Hest, so maybe its a good thing she never wrote from his pov P But I'm curious to know what's going through his head now that Alise and Sedric have escaped his clutches Smiling

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - 'thul - Mar-15-2011

These beings suspect that the next book will at least have a couple of sequences in points of view that did not appear in DK/DH...

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Farseer - Mar-15-2011

A bit off the current topic, sorry, but what's happened in Japan recently (as well as NZ etc) sure makes me think on how it all relates back to the events experienced by the Kelsingra expedition-goers in DH...not to mention the more historical events experienced within the entire Realm of the Elderlings (though extension of the latter may well be for another thread!).

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - assasin - Mar-16-2011

Quote:These beings suspect that the next book will at least have a couple of sequences in points of view that did not appear in DK/DH...

I remember reading about Robin writing chapters about hest and malta. Is that what you are refering to. If not a source please.

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Farseer - Mar-16-2011

I would love to read from an Other's pov. It may not have anything to do with DK and DH but the Others of Others' Island will no doubt pop up again sometime very soon as part of the working through of the entire 'ending' (I am hoping the next book will shed some light on them, in fact!).

I was interested to read in the newsgroup fairly recently that before writing of it all in the LST, Robin had actually dreamed the whole concept of having to file away the treasures from the Treasure Beach into the little rock alcoves, and punishing those who take the treasures from the island...and this she all dreamed from the point of view of the Others! Learning this made made me go Uhhuh to think that she had gone into it all obviously having thoroughly nutted out everything from every character's pov even though she'd only written the story from one or a few of them - love it! Thankful

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - redchild - Mar-16-2011

(Mar-15-2011, 03:09 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: A bit off the current topic, sorry, but what's happened in Japan recently (as well as NZ etc) sure makes me think on how it all relates back to the events experienced by the Kelsingra expedition-goers in DH...not to mention the more historical events experienced within the entire Realm of the Elderlings (though extension of the latter may well be for another thread!).

I thought the same too. Especially footage of that white torrential wave and the boat caught in a whirlpool, if you've seen it. I also imagine that in the Expedition flood a regular, non-live ship would have been smashed to bits as well.

Now I think the crisis at the Fukushima nuclear plant bears some semblance to the Cataclysm in RotE, where natural disasters aside, man-made radioactivity gone out of control is the greater danger. Perhaps the Cataclysm was, too, induced by Elderling magic or technology gone awry.

(Mar-16-2011, 04:43 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Learning this made made me go Uhhuh to think that she had gone into it all obviously having thoroughly nutted out everything from every character's pov even though she'd only written the story from one or a few of them - love it! Thankful

This is why writing fiction is so tough. There is so much exploration and thinking and role playing involved getting into the shoes of imaginary characters, yet it is most likely that many readers wouldn't be able to grasp all of that as nobody is privy to the 'behind the scenes' action of an author's mind, unless the author decides to tell you about it. I suppose the person who stands to derive the most satisfaction is the writer him/herself.

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - 'thul - Mar-16-2011

It is points like the ones you mentioned, assasin. No other sources except stomach feeling.

On that similarity. How dares the Japanese plagiarize a good story for their disaster? (*grins jokingly*)

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - londonlassie - Sep-01-2012

I loved Dragon Haven, same as Dragon Keeper. The characters for me were works of art - maybe not all of them, but Sedric and Alise definitely come into my list of favourite characters, Leftrin was enjoyable, the Thymara-Sintara relationship had me alternately annoyed and rolling with laughter, the cameo from Paragon had me squealing with happiness Big Grin

I adored reading about them. Thymara I liked in the same way as I liked Althea in LST - I enjoyed her passages, but she frequently irritated me even though it wasn't enough to make me dislike her. Just like LST, the Dragon books had such a vibrant cast of characters that you couldn't help but identify or symapthise with at least one of them. And the 'villains' were fun to read about, too. I desperately wanted Greft to get what he deserved, and loved watching Alise and Sedric free themselves from Hest. And I cheered when Sedric and Carson finally got together at the end. Yay

I loved that there was such a nice homosexual pairing in this book as well, rather than having it be portrayed as something so negative like in LST. And it was nice to have them actually make a move and be happy together, rather than just having the whole unrequited Fitz & Fool dynamic, or the will-they-won't-they thing that kept me reading through most of LST...yes, Kennit and Wintrow, I'm talking to you. Wub Ouch
They were so normal and lacking in problems and baggage - or at least, Carson was. It made for a refreshing read.

I was a bit disappointed that Thymara and Tats didn't end up together, though, but Thymara's reasons were understandable and Tats was acting like a twit. That said, it makes me so happy just to pair everybody off, which was way easier in LST than in the Dragon books.

And it was nice that Rapskal didn't die. He's adorable in a stupid kind of way and there would've been much more brooding and much less comic relief without him.

The whole "I am dragon, hear me roar" thing did continue to annoy me just a little. I'm not big on arrogant, self-obsessed characters, and Sintara was nothing if not that. Mercor was so much more pleasant. But I liked most of the protagonists enough to not be too bothered by Sintara, even though she made me rant more than once. Rant

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - 'thul - Sep-02-2012

Much to agree upon there, londonlassie... only one thing.

Human, give food!