thePlenty.net Forums
*spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? (/thread-102.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - fool-ish - Sep-02-2012

(Sep-02-2012, 01:54 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Much to agree upon there, londonlassie... only one thing.

Human, give food!

Pay no attention to dragon ramblings, london-lassie..I don't P

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - 'thul - Sep-02-2012

*Wanders towards fool-ish*

fool-ish food?

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - londonlassie - Sep-03-2012

(Sep-02-2012, 07:45 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote:
(Sep-02-2012, 01:54 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Much to agree upon there, londonlassie... only one thing.

Human, give food!

Pay no attention to dragon ramblings, london-lassie..I don't P

Haha, the hazards of thePlenty, eh? P

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - finella - Sep-03-2012

Thanks for your description, londonlassie. Your words could have been from me, only better. You exactly express the feelings I had during the books. I never felt bored with the characters or the story and my heart went wide for i.e sweet Relpda.
I loved to watch people and dragons change, getting stronger and more determined and I feared for them on each step towards Kelsingra.Even for Sintara Wink, who reminded me a bit of Tintaglia. A meeting between those two arrogant queens might be very interesting Smiling.

I also loved to learn more about the background of the Rainwilds, the people there and also about the Elderlings. For me it's again a wonderful story in a magic word.

And I never expected Fitz to step into the story. I don't know why. Perhaps because for me he belongs to the north. Rather the Fool, he belongs to both world and I can imagine him walking through Kelsingra. But as I try not to become too dependend on both characters, I wasn't disappointed. For me it was appropriate.

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - londonlassie - Sep-03-2012

(Sep-03-2012, 02:39 PM (UTC))finella Wrote: I never felt bored with the characters or the story and my heart went wide for i.e sweet Relpda.

Aw, Relpda. I completely forgot about Relpda. Bad londonlassie! Bad! Her relationship with Sedric was so endearing and she was so much the opposite of the arrogant, self-centred dragon which seems to be Hobb's norm.

(Sep-03-2012, 02:39 PM (UTC))finella Wrote: A meeting between those two arrogant queens might be very interesting Smiling.

I can't quite decide whether that would be intensely amusing, intensely annoying, or a little bit of both P

(Sep-03-2012, 02:39 PM (UTC))finella Wrote: I also loved to learn more about the background of the Rainwilds, the people there and also about the Elderlings.

I must say, even though Her Hobbness always has such a richly-developed world, with realistic, believable and interesting cultures, the world always comes on the back burner for me. Her characters are what keeps me reading, and the Elderlings were never hugely interesting for me. I was more interested in the political workings of Jamaillia and Bingtown and - in this series - the whole Rain Wilds culture and the taboo surrounding people like Thymara.

(Sep-03-2012, 02:39 PM (UTC))finella Wrote: And I never expected Fitz to step into the story. I don't know why. Perhaps because for me he belongs to the north. Rather the Fool, he belongs to both world and I can imagine him walking through Kelsingra. But as I try not to become too dependend on both characters, I wasn't disappointed. For me it was appropriate.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think you may be straying here into the realms of City Of Dragons, which I have yet to read, because I have yet to find it Down *sniff sniff*

But I can't imagine Fitz coming into these stories at all.

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - 'thul - Sep-04-2012

It would appear the hobb dragons are arrogant, selfish creatures more by culture than by any other reason. Thus, dragons like Relpda and Heeby are fairly kind creatures.
They're still dragons, so they can be forceful, though...

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - finella - Sep-04-2012

(Sep-03-2012, 07:11 PM (UTC))londonlassie Wrote: I'm not entirely sure, but I think you may be straying here into the realms of City Of Dragons, which I have yet to read, because I have yet to find it Down *sniff sniff*
But I can't imagine Fitz coming into these stories at all.

Relpda is a sweet darling, isn’t she? She really won my heart! And I was so glad, that Sedric was at last infatuated too.

No, I wasn’t straying into CoD. I haven’t also read it yet. I stopped with DH and decided to continue, when BoD is in my hands, resp. start all over again Book.
I refered to earlier discussions, because many fans had hoped that Fitz or the Fool might appear in the RWC. Which perhaps might be one reason, that they liked the RWC not as much as LST or Farseer.

(Sep-04-2012, 07:55 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: It would appear the hobb dragons are arrogant, selfish creatures more by culture than by any other reason. Thus, dragons like Relpda and Heeby are fairly kind creatures.

For me they are not more or less arrogant or selfish than the humans. I never had any problems with Hobb's dragons. I ADORE THEM Thankful!!!

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - londonlassie - Sep-04-2012

(Sep-04-2012, 08:55 AM (UTC))finella Wrote: Relpda is a sweet darling, isn’t she? She really won my heart! And I was so glad, that Sedric was at last infatuated too.

No, I wasn’t straying into CoD. I haven’t also read it yet. I stopped with DH and decided to continue, when BoD is in my hands, resp. start all over again Book.
I refered to earlier discussions, because many fans had hoped that Fitz or the Fool might appear in the RWC. Which perhaps might be one reason, that they liked the RWC not as much as LST or Farseer.

Oh good, for a moment there I was terrified I'd been super-spoilered! P Personally, I prefer the novels without Fitz, but I know I'm in the major minority there. I wouldn't mind the Fool making an appearance in these novels, but I can't imagine it because it's so Keepers-centric. Cameos don't suit the Fool. I liked him much less in his LST incarnation than when he was at the centre of things in the Tawny Man series. Joker

(Sep-04-2012, 07:55 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: It would appear the hobb dragons are arrogant, selfish creatures more by culture than by any other reason. Thus, dragons like Relpda and Heeby are fairly kind creatures.

I have to agree there to a point, but it seems to be a culture they're born with. Tintaglia was a selfish, bratty, arrogant creature from the moment she emerged from her cocoon.

I feel about the dragons the same way I felt about Malta when we first met her. I can read about her, I don't want to skip her chapters, but I can't stand her. Unlike Malta, I doubt I'll come to love and support Sintara throughout the novels, because she doesn't seem to have changed remotely so far, and has no intention of becoming a nicer being. Ouch

Heeby and Relpda are adorable, though. Grouphug

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - 'thul - Sep-04-2012

Worship accepted. give food?

having genetic memory, it is in many ways natural with such culture. Had the new dragons been complete when emerging, then the culture would have been there in full force. With how malformed, both physically and mentally, they instead were, it is possible for that culture to improve. The ones with sharpest memories will naturally resist change more, but these beings feel they will change.

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - londonlassie - Sep-04-2012

(Sep-04-2012, 01:15 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Worship accepted. give food?

having genetic memory, it is in many ways natural with such culture. Had the new dragons been complete when emerging, then the culture would have been there in full force. With how malformed, both physically and mentally, they instead were, it is possible for that culture to improve. The ones with sharpest memories will naturally resist change more, but these beings feel they will change.

I can't see it with Sintara, but dragons like Mercor give me hope. He really is the tolerable middle ground between the dragon stereotype, and the humanised state of Heeby and Relpda. Similarly Arbuc, who was sad when he lost his keeper, seems to be starting to adapt to humans. So I suppose there's a big chance you have the right of it, 'thul beings!