thePlenty.net Forums
*spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? (/thread-102.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - 'thul - Sep-05-2012

in the ancient times, dragons numbered in the hundreds, if not thousands. Humans were fewer, but still many then. With so few dragons in the now (less than twenty), their old culture simply won't work out. Not with the far greater number of humans.

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - finella - Sep-05-2012

Wait, wait Blink!!!

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - londonlassie - Sep-05-2012

(Sep-05-2012, 08:54 AM (UTC))finella Wrote: Wait, wait Blink!!!

I would imagine their offspring would have no real choice other than to interbreed with the Keepers' dragons. Either that, or dragons don't mind inbreeding. I can't imagine Tintaglia liking the idea of her babies breeding with "deformed" dragons, but needs must and all that.

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - 'thul - Sep-05-2012

Their memories are complete, but two are not enough to keep a culture whole. Besides,

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - finella - Sep-06-2012

Uuuuuh Surrender Down I fear for my beautiful and proud queen. And for Icefyre. And all the others. After all the misery they have gone through they just deserve only the best!!!
And should all the sacrifices, the Fool (and Fitz) made, to install the dragons in the world again, be for almost nothing? For a stunned race, committed to extinction after all? No, I will never tolerate that Mad.
But as you say 'thul - the hatchlings are getting stronger. There's hope!

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Farseer - Sep-06-2012

*City of Dragons spoiler...I think...though I might just be being over-careful*

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - 'thul - Sep-06-2012

it would take hundreds of individuals to rebuild the old dragon culture. with the numbers who emerged from the cocoons and lived long enough, that is not possible. instead, they will have to build a new one from the shreds of the old and their relations with their keepers. Most likely that would be a far healthier culture for both species,

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Farseer - Sep-06-2012

^ Okay, quick check-in but just *had* to contribute (yes, the one who knows nothing but says much! P ).

I am agreeing with you beings in that a new culture is far healthier and a must. The dragon culture of old will not need to be rebuilt as it was, as it will be a thing of the past just as it *has* to be if time's wheel is going to be lifted out of its current path. Just as the Bingtown Traders had to adapt to change etc, etc, etc (ticking of all such changes in my head! Big Grin ), all, be they Elderlings, dragons, Others, Farseers etc, will have to change to improve upon the past. Why would anyone want it to be the same if the same outcome will eventually come to pass? I'm having deja vu that I've had a similar-ish discussion with Redchild (?) or Chrischa sometime before Blink but forging ahead...

Beloved and Changer are there not to ensure that things stay the same but that they change while appearing to stay the same....or so I have interpreted. Changer is the pebble...if ultimate change were not the goal, all that has come to pass would be for naught.

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - londonlassie - Sep-06-2012

(Sep-06-2012, 09:28 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: it would take hundreds of individuals to rebuild the old dragon culture. with the numbers who emerged from the cocoons and lived long enough, that is not possible. instead, they will have to build a new one from the shreds of the old and their relations with their keepers. Most likely that would be a far healthier culture for both species,

I like this idea very much. Here's to hoping, 'thul beings!

RE: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Tebasile - Nov-28-2012

(Mar-10-2011, 03:54 PM (UTC))Lady Laura Wrote: I was referring directly to babies, and more so in relation to having a tail P Perhaps the quote you gave there was what I had been thinking of! No idea why the tail thing seemed familar though *shakes head*

It has been quite a while since the above comment was posted, but coming from a LST marathon I know why a baby with a serpentstail is familiar.

The little figure of a baby Etta found in her boot after leaving other`s Island/ the Treasure Beach hat a such a tail curled around it.

But I think the meaning here was more metaphorical than literal (connection of her and Kennit`s future son with his namessake and his origin).
But the image it creates feels rather profound and also invokes the bigger picture of a future that encompasses both humans and dragons.