thePlenty.net Forums
*spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: *spoilers all books* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? (/thread-102.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Mervi - Mar-13-2010

Okay, I'm actually starting to doubt whether it IS the same city! Uhhuh

RE: *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - miklc - Mar-13-2010

I just guessed there were alot of Elderling cities with similar features. i do recall now that it's been suggested that Kelsingra was the main one where the Elderlings and Dragons co-existed which does back up it being the city visited by Fitz via the skill-pillar..

Interesting bit about the Others in this book too. They are definitely one of the odder threads throughout the book. Human + dragon = Eldering = good but Dragon + Human = Other= bad ??

RE: *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Mervi - Mar-14-2010

I just browsed through the pages in Assassin's Quest where Fitz visits the city, and one thing that does NOT seem to fit with Kelsingra is that there's been a huge avalanche or earthquake and a part of the city is simply missing, filled with water from the river. Even though we only get a glimpse of the ruins at the end of Dragon Haven, you'd think that something like that would be mentioned, right?

RE: *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Liquid Ice - Mar-14-2010

So if the city is the same as Fitz visits. Would that mean that the silvery stuff that dragons remembered drinking was also the silver on Veritys hand when he was crafting? Would that mean that the dragons drank the "skill" its self? Something that I think Sinatra remembers was that the liquid could intoxicate or make a dragon seem drunk. And could easily kill an Elderling if they had more then a sip.

I never fully understood what the silver stuff was all about so could be wrong...

(Mar-14-2010, 03:05 AM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: I just browsed through the pages in Assassin's Quest where Fitz visits the city, and one thing that does NOT seem to fit with Kelsingra is that there's been a huge avalanche or earthquake and a part of the city is simply missing, filled with water from the river. Even though we only get a glimpse of the ruins at the end of Dragon Haven, you'd think that something like that would be mentioned, right?

True. Was the only one who properly saw it Heebys keeper? Cause he could easily mistake such a point for nothing. Plus some things look different from different angles(wasn't fitz in a 2 story building when he noticed it?). Though I do doubt there was only one Elderling city that had this silver substance I reckon it was the same city. Or at least the city would have had to have been pretty close proximity.

RE: *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - McWolf - Mar-15-2010

I always assumed Kelsingra was the same city Fitz visited via the Skill pillar.

RE: *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Rukia - Mar-16-2010

I really loved Dragon Haven. I suppose a part of it has to do with nostalgia, as I'm forced to tally up just how many years ago I first read the Liveship books (ten!). But Robin once again wrote a beautiful story, and if I didn't love all the characters (Greft), I certainly understood and sympathised with them. What I really found amazing was the new lore behind dragons and elderlings introduced in the book, and I felt like there was just so much more I wanted to know by the end. And the characters arrived at better places than they started, sure, but there's so much potential for more! So fingers crossed the reference to her writing a 'Dragon Trader' book could mean we get to see some more of these new characters. I'd certainly like to see Sedric or Thymara (with Rapskal and Tats in tow, of course...) again. Oh, and I always imagined Kelsingra was the place Verity and Fitz visited - it seemed to fit, anyway.

And now I have a burning desire to reread the Farseer books again. Which is partly bad, as much as I love Robin's books I find they make it so much harder to appreciate other books I read. Nothing else really compares. Down

RE: *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - maulkin - Mar-16-2010

I'm fairly sure that I remember a dragon drinking from the silver well of Fitz's city in his dream on the skill road. I assumed that Kelsingra was this city. As for the lack of a chasm, perhaps it was not visible from the place where the Tarman was docked at the end of Dragon Haven. Kelsingra is a large city and the Tarman had not entered it yet. On the other hand, the river described in Dragon Haven skirts the city, rather than running straight through it. Perhaps two tributaries of the river pass through Kelsingra. The chasm may even be upstream of the acid tributary that the Tarman refused to enter.

I would also be interested to know what the dragons will do when they discover the sleeping stone dragons. Will they wake them or will they melt them down and consume their memories?

RE: *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - Liquid Ice - Mar-17-2010

(Mar-16-2010, 06:11 PM (UTC))maulkin Wrote: I would also be interested to know what the dragons will do when they discover the sleeping stone dragons. Will they wake them or will they melt them down and consume their memories?

Haha that would be interesting to know what a dragon would do when they come in contact with a sleeping stone dragon. I'd doubt they'd wake them, (They'd prob think of them as inferior copys) consume there memories seems like a dragons thing to do.

Though if they did consume them I wonder how Buckkeep would react, or more so how Kettricken would react. She seemed a little unstable with the whole Verity issue.

RE: *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - kollkolen - Mar-17-2010

I am reading this book, not yet finished with it.As far as I read this book I have enjoyed it.I just want to finished this book as early as possible as I am excited to know the end of this book .Dragons have really kept me busy.

RE: *spoilers* Dragon Haven, Enjoy it? Hate it? - chriSchaeffer - Mar-19-2010

I'll put my vote in that Kelsingra is the same city that Fitz visited. Hobb often brings things around in a circle in different books. Remember treasure beach from the Liveship trilogy? That was also a place they visited via Skill Pillars.