thePlenty.net Forums
Pre-release City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pre-release City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) (/thread-108.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Jussi - Nov-22-2011

The new US cover art:

http://www.harpercollins.com/harperimages/isbn/large/4/9780061561634.jpg

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Farseer - Nov-22-2011

Thanks Jussi! We can always rely on you to keep us up-to-date on things, especially those that we miss. Slurp

I was wondering how the US cover would be differentiated from the UK cover, and now my question has been answered. Smiling

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Valarya - Nov-23-2011

Is that the Skill-well the dragon is standing on... or perhaps just a fountain, I wonder?

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - joost - Nov-23-2011

(Nov-02-2011, 04:17 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: 4 months to go...
I had the Dutch translation in my hands a few weeks ago, but decided not to buy it anyway. I might even wait starting reading CoD until BoD is in my possession too (I dislike reading 'half' books).

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - finella - Dec-07-2011

Hello again,

could you perhaps do me a favour and have a look at amazon.de. Typing "City of Dragon, Robin Hobb", I can pre-order two different editions for the same price:
the first is a golden cover with 352 pages by harper voyager
City of Dragons
the second a silver cover with 400 pages by haper collins publ. uk
City of Dragons

The drawing is identical

These two different editions really confuses me. Thanks for your help.

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - joost - Dec-07-2011

As far as I know, the gold version is the US pressing, and the silver version is the UK version. I don't know what causes the page difference, it might be page size (US letter, UK A4?)

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - 'thul - Dec-07-2011

It could be many factors. Page size, line count per page, font size, font type, mean character count per page, etc...

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Rocketking - Dec-08-2011

About a month ago I finnished the dutch version. Translation is pretty good. There's only one mistake: (no spoiler) Malta refers to Ephron as her father. Now Kyle wasn't a father you would like to have but that's not a good reason to forget him. Probably a mistake by the translator but it could be a miss by Robin.

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - 'thul - Dec-08-2011

Welcome to thePlenty. May your stay be enjoyable.

(hah. Beat you to it farseer *grins*)

Only time will show whether that is translation or editor-end error. Perhaps it should be pointed out to her so that it can be looked up and corrected no matter where it is?
*looks shiftily around for someone that might have contact ability with RH*

Perhaps you could provide page number, line on page and such, Rocketking?

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Farseer - Dec-08-2011

^ Ah, too funny, 'thul beings! Big Grin

(So says Farseer as she quietly checks in with what's happening here on thePlenty at 6am in a motel room far from home...whilst wrapped in a heavy blanket in the middle of summer so she doesn't freeze to death from the air-conditioning but can't turn the offending machine off or else she'll wake her very tired, sleeping family...)

(Dec-08-2011, 11:40 AM (UTC))Rocketking Wrote: About a month ago I finnished the dutch version. Translation is pretty good. There's only one mistake: (no spoiler) Malta refers to Ephron as her father. Now Kyle wasn't a father you would like to have but that's not a good reason to forget him. Probably a mistake by the translator but it could be a miss by Robin.

Honestly, I wish I could forget Kyle! Rant P

Wonderful to finally hear from someone who has read the Dutch version - well met and welcome to the hunt, Rocketking! Slurp

It is definitely possible that the mistake could be Robin's. From memory, rather than Keffria, I think it was Althea who was mistakenly noted as being Malta's mother (?) at one point in the UK version of one of the RWC (or maybe it was even the LST?) books.

Still, I agree, Robin should be told so that the information can be passed on if it hasn’t been already. I have just now asked her where she would like such things directed eg via the Newsgroup or via direct email etc and will let you know as soon as she replies. Great pick-up, Rocketking! Flowers

(Dec-07-2011, 08:09 PM (UTC))finella Wrote: Hello again,
could you perhaps do me a favour and have a look at amazon.de. Typing "City of Dragon, Robin Hobb", I can pre-order two different editions for the same price:
the first is a golden cover with 352 pages by harper voyager
the second a silver cover with 400 pages by haper collins publ. uk
The drawing is identical
These two different editions really confuses me. Thanks for your help.

Just confirming joost’s words – the golden cover is the US cover and the silver the UK cover. A different cover was released earlier for the US version but publishers decided to go with the Jackie Morris UK cover art for both versions. I can see how it would be very confusing, particularly for unsuspecting ones!

(Nov-23-2011, 04:32 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: Is that the Skill-well the dragon is standing on... or perhaps just a fountain, I wonder?

Not sure if I have this a'right, Valarya, but fountains were dotted throughout Kelsingra while there seemed to be only one well that we've been told about. Knowing we have a spoiler tag for all other books I will forge on ahead and say that the Skill-well that Fitz saw, and then later Tintaglia, had a windlass that operated it and (I think...don't have the books to reference!) this windlass ended up at the bottom of the well when Tintaglia grew frustrated and pushed/bumped it down there. Therefore it was definitely configured/designed as a 'well' and not a fountain.

Someone correct me if I'm way off the mark (!) but I think I also recall that the Skill drawn up from the well was then placed into fountains for the dragons to drink from, such as would happen at a cattle trough...as belittling as that sounds to our noble RotE dragons! This being the case, I imagine that the cover art features such a fountain, and not just your everyday water fountain, given that there is a dragon propped upon it. Will keep an eye out for this as I make my way through my re-reads.

One thing's for sure...I am looking forward to finding out!! Yay