thePlenty.net Forums
Pre-release City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pre-release City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) (/thread-108.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - finella - Dec-09-2011

Thanks a lot for the info. I pre-ordered the silver edition. It's fitting to my others
Smiling.

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Farseer - Dec-09-2011

(Dec-08-2011, 11:40 AM (UTC))Rocketking Wrote: About a month ago I finnished the dutch version. Translation is pretty good. There's only one mistake: (no spoiler) Malta refers to Ephron as her father. Now Kyle wasn't a father you would like to have but that's not a good reason to forget him. Probably a mistake by the translator but it could be a miss by Robin.

Here is the response I received from Robin:
Quote:
This newsgroup is a good place to start.

Most errors in the books originate with me, unfortunately, and sometimes slip past several copy edits. My editors and copy editors certainly do their best, but we do have errors creep in.

Once the book is out, it's usually too late to do anything about it. Especially with a translation, as the first printing may be the amount they expect to sell. Sometimes it can be corrected on a later printing, if there is a second or third edition. But usually once it's out there, all I can do is say, 'oops. Sorry.'

I suspect I know what the error is. I typed silver when it should have been copper. Caught it for the US, UK but the Dutch were too quick for me!

We'll see if that's the one, now.

Robin

Rocketking, I thought I'd allow you to contact Robin yourself to share your find, so I did not actually let her know the mistake. You can get in touch with her via her Newsgroup here. I know that she will be thrilled to have you join the group! Flowers

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Valarya - Dec-09-2011

Ahh, yes... too right you are, Farseer.

I don't know how I messed up "well" versus "fountain" hahah but this, most-certainly, is a fountain... not a well. Innocent

You're correct in your assumption of how the well worked (and that it is, in fact, a well). I recall one of the memories Sintara has is that the bucket had to go deep below the "regular water" in order to plunge in to the special liquid that is so heady and fulfilling to them and that it is, indeed, pulled up bucket by bucket and emptied in to a large shallow bowl for the dragons to daintily sip from (in what I imagine is much more elegant than upending a bucket!). Proud

I can't wait for this next book, gah!

edit: Wait wait wait wait wait. Farseer... you have direct contact with RH!? How have I missed this important detail? How do you have contact with her!? Big Grin

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Farseer - Dec-09-2011

Jumping in the car for yet another long drive (only got back late last night!) so, quick response, feel free to follow the above Newsgroup link and have direct contact with our Tangle Leader yourself. All are welcome in the Newsgroup. You can also comment on posts Robin makes on her site and she happily responds - a lovely and down-to-earth lady! Smiling

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Valarya - Dec-10-2011

Oh oops, must have missed that link. Thanks. Blushing

This newsgroup webpage is interesting. It's very... old-fashioned net & I'm not even quite sure what to do here, lol.

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Farseer - Dec-19-2011

(Dec-08-2011, 09:39 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Dec-08-2011, 11:40 AM (UTC))Rocketking Wrote: About a month ago I finnished the dutch version. Translation is pretty good. There's only one mistake: (no spoiler) Malta refers to Ephron as her father. Now Kyle wasn't a father you would like to have but that's not a good reason to forget him. Probably a mistake by the translator but it could be a miss by Robin.

It is definitely possible that the mistake could be Robin's. From memory, rather than Keffria, I think it was Althea who was mistakenly noted as being Malta's mother (?) at one point in the UK version of one of the RWC (or maybe it was even the LST?) books.

Still, I agree, Robin should be told so that the information can be passed on if it hasn’t been already. I have just now asked her where she would like such things directed eg via the Newsgroup or via direct email etc and will let you know as soon as she replies. Great pick-up, Rocketking! Flowers

As I/Robin hadn't heard from you, Rocketking, I passed on the mistake to her (I hope that was okay!) and this is what she returned to me with:

Quote:...thanks to you and your friend, we may have caught MY error (yes, mine alone!) and it will be fixed for the US, UK editions. So thank you so much.
Robin

So, there you go...it pays to make contact regarding errors and, whenever I read that reference in CoD, I will think of you and the good we can all do together here on thePlenty - well done! Thankful

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - 'thul - Dec-20-2011

Indeed. Well done.

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Rocketking - Dec-20-2011

Thank you Farseer! it actually made me blush to be thanked by Robin herself!

Oh and thanks for welcoming me AND sorry for waiting so long with responding. I almost forgot about me posting here. If someone has a question about the story, feel free to ask. Maybe I can answer them. (if you don't care about spoilers)

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Jussi - Dec-29-2011

New plot synopsis for City of Dragons:

http://www.harpercollins.com/books/City-of-Dragons-Robin-Hobb?isbn=9780061561634&HCHP=TB_City+of+Dragons

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Valarya - Dec-29-2011

(Dec-29-2011, 10:48 PM (UTC))Jussi Wrote: New plot synopsis for City of Dragons:

Thanks for posting!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay