thePlenty.net Forums
Pre-release City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pre-release City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) (/thread-108.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - fool-ish - Mar-02-2012

(Mar-02-2012, 04:55 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Impertinent human!

*huffs and walks off*
See ya then

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Farseer - Mar-02-2012

(Mar-02-2012, 03:28 PM (UTC))finella Wrote: (I hope I can offer this, otherwise please feel free to delete it, Farseer.)

I won't delete it but, no, you can't offer that, finella. Big Grin Again the lines of gifting are blurry but a book can be returned whereas a Kindle version can't be and, though it could be deleted by a trustworthy recipient, the legalities between the two are far, far different. Smiling Sadly, those out there who would not (and do not) do the right thing destroy it for those of us who would and do. So, no, no sharing of such files here. P

I say all that not only because it goes against present legalities, and even Mervi's rules for operating here on thePlenty, but knowing that I had fairly recently stumbled across an illegal version of CoD online and immediately brought it to Robin's attention so she could pass it on to her publishers...and then awaited the UK copy for myself.

@ fool-ish: No worries! Smiling I'd feel the same I must admit...but I feel better knowing that I offered and better knowing that you know I care...sharing the Hobb love a bit! Grouphug

As far as I can tell, it is still not available here in Kindle format (not that I have a Kindle) so I doubt it would be available for you there either. You could always check and, if it's there, you could download Kindle for PC which would allow you to read Kindle books on your computer or laptop if you needed.

Grumble away whenever you need...the little rant guy Rant is great for that so I think I grumble more here than anywhere! Big Grin

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - fool-ish - Mar-02-2012

It was a very kind and thoughtful offer and much appreciated Big Grin Grouphug Slurp

With regards to reading it on the computer, I find it difficult to read large sections of writing without my eyes going squiffy...the glare's to blame for that, presumably. And as you said, it's not available on Kindle either until April.

Grumbling is one of the things I do best and in this instance, I feel I'm quite within my rights to do so, particularly as their reasoning is a complete nonsense!

Ah well, it'll be there waiting for me when I get home, to keep the post-holiday blues at bay, so shouldn't grumble too much. Smiling

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Farseer - Mar-02-2012

(Mar-02-2012, 10:36 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Grumbling is one of the things I do best

Blink Maybe we're long lost twins! P

(Mar-02-2012, 10:36 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: and in this instance, I feel I'm quite witin my rights to do so, particularly as their reasoning is a complete nonsense!

Indeed! Dodgy

I honestly haven't even gone further in CoD than halfway through Chapter Four yet Ouch, which I truly can't believe (!!!), but life is getting in the road. Tonight, dear friends...tonight I will not sleep until after I have read the very last word! Book

(Mar-02-2012, 11:12 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Mar-02-2012, 10:36 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Grumbling is one of the things I do best

Blink Maybe we're long lost twins! P

(Mar-02-2012, 10:36 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: and in this instance, I feel I'm quite witin my rights to do so, particularly as their reasoning is a complete nonsense!

Indeed! Dodgy

I honestly haven't even gone further in CoD than halfway through Chapter Four yet Ouch, which I truly can't believe (!!!), but life is getting in the road. Tonight, dear friends...tonight I will not sleep until after I have read the very last word! Book
Grumble and Grumblier? P I truly thought you'd have read it all by now, but alas, life does get in the road! Happy reading! Smiling

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - 'thul - Mar-03-2012

Kindle-based books may have some form of DRM, so even if you could send it over, it might not work on another person's kindle. At least they had a year or two ago when 'thul tried to read a book someone else had bought for kindle.

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - finella - Mar-03-2012

@Farseer: I changed my post, because I see, what you mean. It's indeed a tricky thing and you are right, when you say,that some "black sheep" might spoil it for the others.

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Farseer - Mar-03-2012

@ finella: Slurp

@ 'thul: That's interesting 'thul, and a good measure against piracy. Pirate It would mean that if you want to lend your book, you'd have to lend your Kindle too, and there's not many who would do that...

As for my 'tonight, dear friends' business...well, my husband decided he'd like a ride to town in an ambulance yesterday after lunch (after I'd already been all the way in there and back once that morning!) and then we discovered that his pain is likely due to a kidney stone or two. Back home last night after a few hours of morphine and observation and then, after the hour-long and very rough drive back home, he spent most of the night mirroring the cycle that a woman goes through whilst in labour (and I in the husband role doing the bath running, tummy and back rubbing, drink fetching etc...half the time I couldn't help but laugh at his obviously severe pain! Big Grin). This all having been said, I have made no progress on CoD. Down

Will add this to the main news page as soon as I can (so won't put this in a new thread as it will turn up in due course from 'Mellow the Minstrel') but, in the meantime, here's a link to the Harper Voyager page where there is a competition running to win a signed hardback copy of CoD. All you have to do is send them a dragon. P

The deadline is April 20th and the comp is for UK residents only. So, fool-ish, you're not going to get an early release, but you can spend your waiting time creating a dragon, a la Verity-like! Big Grin

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - 'thul - Mar-04-2012

Actually, the measure is often too strict. It prevents in-family loan of books. Not that downloading a cracked version is not possible, but that wont be covered here. Systems fail when piracy is the solution someone has to go to to read a legally bought book.

RE: City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - fool-ish - Mar-04-2012

Ouch I believe kidney stones are tremendously painful. Poor Mr. Farseer...I bet he's milking it for all he's worth though eh? Like when they have the man-flu P

Now then, how to make me a dragon. I may have to resort to utilising my daughter's artistic skills, seeing as I ain't got any...at all! I told my husband about the competition...he suggested sending a picture of myself! Dodgy There's nowt like compliments is there! Never fear though, I'll get my own back one day Stirring