thePlenty.net Forums
Pre-release City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pre-release City of Dragons (spoilers Farseer, LST, TM and RWC) (/thread-108.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: "The Next Book" set in the Rain Wilds - Mervi - Aug-19-2010

I know that some people consider even the summaries from the back cover of a book to be spoilers. I'm not that strict, but I was really disappointed when a reviewer posted the recurring characters from the Dragon Keeper (ie. those we knew from the LST) before the book was widely available. They were included in a short summary without any warning. That, for me, spoiled the sweet surprise of reconnecting with familiar folks while reading the story even though knowing those names didn't reveal much about the actual plot.

RE: "The Next Book" set in the Rain Wilds - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-19-2010

Depends on how much the back cover blurb tells you. If it doesn't tell you anything, you have no idea what you're getting into. Which reminds me, I have a very old Dutch edition of The Lord of the Rings at home. The blurbs on the books spoil a lot, like:

Yes, it says that right on the back of The Two Towers itself!

On another note, I bought The Tawny Man all at once and while I was peeling off the price stickers, I was really careful not to read the blurbs. A good thing, because I'm sure you know what the first words on the back of The Golden Fool are:

RE: "The Next Book" set in the Rain Wilds - Nuytsia - Aug-19-2010

Oh yeah Mervi I don't like to read the blurbs !!!!
Mainly because of the ones that are really spoilerish, like those Albertosaurus mentioned. I also noticed that Tawny Man one! It was pretty bad....!!!

RE: "The Next Book" set in the Rain Wilds - Farseer - Aug-21-2010

I think blurbs are AWFUL and I am that strict that I don't read them beyond the first book in a series or after I have begun reading a book. In this same vein, I even refuse to read pages beyond the final page of text in a story as often other books in the series are advertised with blurbs eg at the end of AA, you can go to the last couple of pages and find out what's going to happen in RA and even AQ, as well as the LST trilogy...HUGE SPOILERS when you are wondering if a character survives or not!

RE: "The Next Book" set in the Rain Wilds - redchild - Aug-25-2010

(Aug-21-2010, 01:23 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I even refuse to read pages beyond the final page of text in a story as often other books in the series are advertised with blurbs eg at the end of AA, you can go to the last couple of pages and find out what's going to happen in RA and even AQ, as well as the LST trilogy...HUGE SPOILERS when you are wondering if a character survives or not!

YES! Rant

RE: "The Next Book" set in the Rain Wilds - 'thul - Aug-25-2010

Reading those spoilers is boring. These beings do not even do it when they have the next book available.

RE: "The Next Book" set in the Rain Wilds - Nuytsia - Jan-11-2011

Good to see Robin Hobb is avoiding the evil internet (ie her newsgroup) and reports she is getting some good writing done on 'the next book'
YAY!

Not that I'm complaining about the speed of her writing in general at ALL! She's amazingly fast I think.

RE: "The Next Book" set in the Rain Wilds - 'thul - Jan-11-2011

it is better with quality than quantity...

RE: "The Next Book" set in the Rain Wilds - Farseer - Jan-12-2011

Yes, 'thul, yes...we want quality for sure!

Most of you may have seen this already (I've been having a drama getting on to the site) but the new book is getting closer, ever closer, going on Tangle Leader's latest post!! Yay

RE: "The Next Book" set in the Rain Wilds - Nuytsia - Jan-12-2011

Wow it's soooooo close!

Yes , there's no hurry , it must be done right!
Although some authors take forever and then the book disappoints in any case..... I guess each individual author knows how much time THEY need to do the job right, and this seems to vary a lot.