thePlenty.net Forums
Cats (Spoilers all books incl RWC) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Cats (Spoilers all books incl RWC) (/thread-110.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Cats - chriSchaeffer - Apr-09-2010

@Nuytsia LOL! I like how your kangaroo story was contained in the spoiler tag. P

RE: Cats - Nuytsia - Apr-13-2010

Happyballoon

RE: Cats - Nuytsia - May-08-2010

Hey!
We're not the only ones who think Robin's dragons resemble cats. But Robin seemed to indicate there's no particular reason they should, so guess any theories of there being some deeper significance (related to things like Others fear of cats etc) seem not to be supported????? Not sure - check out Sara Creasy's question at Babel Clash and Robin's answer in the comments.
http://bordersblog.com/scifi/2010/05/01/robin-hobb-and-sara-creasy/a-few-questions-for-robin-%E2%80%93-newbie-to-veteran/#comments
In fact, check the whole series of posts on Babel Clash by Robin and Sara! Good stuff.

Oh this killed me though - (Robin's comment on another post):

"Regarding Sara’s comments about compromising on a first book . . . well, I’ve been writing novels for close to 30 years now, and in some ways I still make compromises on every one of them. I really try to listen to my editors. They always have a perspective on my stories that is difficult for me to achieve. I’m fortunate to work with two editors: Jane Johnson for the UK editions and Jennifer Brehl for the US ones. When they BOTH agree that something needs changing, well, I ignore that at my peril. I can think of only one case where I plowed stubbornly ahead. And six months later, re-reading that book, I went, “Oh, no! They were right! I should have changed that!” (And no, I’ll never tell what bit that was!)"

OOooooh I'd love to know what that thing was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe it was just something tiny though......

In fact I'd love to know what the original novels were like before the editors suggested changes were implemented. I actually had no idea there was so much editorial change.....

RE: Cats - Farseer - May-08-2010

Thanks for sharing, Nuytsia (and why are we both awake and on thePlenty etc at THIS time of the morning Smiling ?!).

That made for REALLY interesting reading, though I do still believe that cats have an important function in the storyline, even if Robin says that her dragons aren't inspired by them. It's such a tease when she so often writes them in eg that Fool's movements are cat-like and pecksies also appear to have cat-like qualities in their looks and movements (pecksies also have a love of rats, as do cats, which I don't think I mentioned in earlier posts about pecksies). I just can't shake the feeling that they have a more significant role to play...

What is also intriguing is Nighteyes' dislike of cats, but then we have his fairly easy acceptance of the stone dragons despite being a little wary of them to begin with (if one is related to the other, why would this be so?). That Fitz seems to have a connection with cats is also fascinating, particularly when you take into account his closeness with Nighteyes and wolf-like traits.

Anyway, something I found interesting about cats tonight was in Dragon Keeper (which I am re-reading and then following on immediately with a re-read of Dragon Haven)

RE: Cats - Nuytsia - May-09-2010

It would be intriguing if there IS something there after all. I guess Robin didn't really rule it out - or maybe she's deliberately not telling for a future reveal!!! (since she IS working on the next book in the RoTE world)

I love that part you quoted from Dragon Keeper!! 'Sassy little bastard' hehehehee so cat like.

I'd never thought about it in the way you mention - hmmm interesting!
Tarman does intrigue me too - but I haven't read Dragon Haven so hope to find out a bit more about it/him.

ps Yep I'm always about late at night / early morning. Also suspect I'm spending way too much on this forum in general heheheehee!

RE: Cats - Lord Punctual - May-18-2010

I just had to add this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU7q9WGCdAI

RE: Cats - Lord Punctual - May-18-2010

Oh, and another thing. Is the Elderling-making effect of a dragon's presence limited to humans? Witted humans acquire at least mental traits of their bondmate, and their animal companions acquire some human-like characteristics. So, if I dragon spent a lot of time with a cat, would that cat potentially become an Elderkitty?

(I know I'm being a pretty ridiculous here, but what was up with those blue drowned kittens?)

RE: Cats - Farseer - May-20-2010

I have an interesting 'cat' tidbit to share...

As mentioned previously, a female cat is also known as a 'queen' BUT apparently only at certain times...there is disagreement on the term with some sources saying that it is a term used only when a cat is pregnant or nursing and other sources stating that a 'queen' is an unspayed, sexually mature cat.

Now, while most of us know that a male cat is called a 'tom', a female cat is also apparently known as a...drumroll...* spoiler for Farseer and Tawny Man *
There is NO WAY that that's an accident!

RE: Cats - Lord Punctual - May-20-2010

Great Shrewd's Ghost! That is awesome. Very awesome.

RE: Cats - Nuytsia - May-21-2010

Hehehe Elderkitty !!! Love it.
Hmmm I have never heard of a female cat being called a molly .......... certainly a queen for an unspayed female..... but molly has completely passed me by! Maybe it's only used in certain parts of the world.