thePlenty.net Forums
Cats (Spoilers all books incl RWC) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Cats (Spoilers all books incl RWC) (/thread-110.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Cats - Lord Punctual - May-21-2010

Or perhaps it's one of those things that most people just don't know, like that jake and tom are terms for male turkeys.

RE: Cats - Nuytsia - May-23-2010

If it had been about turkeys, I'd so agree!
But I've read a hell of a lot about cats over the years....... anyhoo I'm sure I don't know EVERYTHING about them!
Well clearly not the molly thing!

RE: Cats - Farseer - May-23-2010

Well, I know I'd never heard of it until someone just happened to use the term in a totally RotE-unrelated way. A lightbulb came on in my head Lightbulb and I thought,"No WAY!", then came home and Googled it immediately....and there it was on quite a few sites.

Of course, its existance on the internet doesn't make it true, so:

* either it is a correct term, just not well-known, OR

* is an incorrect term which has been granted an acceptance of usage due to its prevalent use as a name for a cat OR

* it is a completely false term that someone's just plucked out of the sky and placed on the net, and THEN been granted an acceptance of usage!

I think the main thing is that if I could have stumbled across the term, then possibly Robin could have also, during the course of her research, and despite it being confirmed or not being confirmed as a true term for a female cat, BAM, there Robin still has a pretty cool and unbelievably well-connected name for * Farseer/Tawny Man Spoiler *

Robin is magic Magic, isn't she?!

RE: Cats - Nuytsia - May-24-2010

I didn't mean to doubt you! (although you're right, the accuracy is kind of a moot point as long as it is something Robin could have read and used.... hmm not that I'm implying Robin wouldn't check her facts... gees I should just stop commenting now!)

RE: Cats - Farseer - May-24-2010

You did stop commenting, too...you posted that and then, wooosh, you were gone Big Grin !

Puts a funny kind of spin on 'truth' though, doesn't it?! I think Fitz touched on it once or twice somewhere...how when people commit things to print it suddenly becomes 'truth' because the reader tends to forget that the author is human and therefore fallible (as we now view much of his own writings).

That's what's so WONDERFUL about thePlenty...we have intelligent people on here who are capable enough and brave enough to not just take everything written here on face value...they doubt, they deny, they differ, they debate Yay !

RE: Cats - Nuytsia - May-24-2010

And I'm back! Hehehe I went off to watch the League of Gentlemen ......
Interestingly I think quite a lot of fantasy writers seem to bring up that theme of truth, what people will believe as 'truth' and the use of propaganda. (eg good ole GRRM's ASOIAF is another one).
I guess authors know better then most the power of words to influence!

RE: Cats - Nuytsia - May-30-2010

Hmm well the cats being likened to dragons references continue in Dragon Haven. I'm not sure if these are to be taken too much to heart though, as I've noticed Robin compares a LOT of things to cats. (I should do a complete list or count them!)

But anyhoo, Dragon Haven

RE: Cats - Farseer - May-31-2010

(May-30-2010, 04:27 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote:
Yes!!! I LOVED this 'always feeling cold' connection too...it blew my mind Big Grin !!!!

RE: Cats - Farseer - Jul-19-2010

(May-30-2010, 04:27 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: I'm not sure if these are to be taken too much to heart though, as I've noticed Robin compares a LOT of things to cats. (I should do a complete list or count them!)

Yes, after reading so many cat references in 'Soldier's Son', I'm starting to think you're right!!! While they were contained within the RotE world they seemed to hold a certain significance but now I have to wonder if it's not just Robin's style of writing Undecided !!

RE: Cats - 'thul - Jul-19-2010

(May-31-2010, 12:51 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(May-30-2010, 04:27 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote:
Yes!!! I LOVED this 'always feeling cold' connection too...it blew my mind Big Grin !!!!