thePlenty.net Forums
What movie/s are you watching? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What movie/s are you watching? (/thread-114.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Farseer - Apr-07-2011

(Apr-07-2011, 12:39 PM (UTC))danieladamsmith Wrote: Jaws by Steven Spielburg

A classic that I have happily shared with my kids over the years! Boat

Reading this also made me think of a comment from my husband the other day...he was reading LST and mentioned that the passage *LST kind-of spoiler*
and so he determined that Robin must have been a 'Jaws' fan P...will have to have a re-read and check it out!

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - 'thul - Apr-08-2011

These beings saw a rather interesting film yesterday. Repo men.

Quite a bit of fun combined with some remorseless killing and futuristic technology...

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Farseer - Oct-03-2011

If I were to judge a movie by the number of times I quote lines from its srcipt, there really is no surpassing Toy Story, with The Road to El Dorado and Shrek following close behind. Such terrific one-liners. Oh, and Finding Nemo, too..."just keep swimming, just keep swimming"! P

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Nuytsia - Oct-06-2011

"Shrek??"
"For you, baby, I could be"

(Oct-03-2011, 10:25 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: If I were to judge a movie by the number of times I quote lines from its srcipt, there really is no surpassing Toy Story, with The Road to El Dorado and Shrek following close behind. Such terrific one-liners. Oh, and Finding Nemo, too..."just keep swimming, just keep swimming"! P

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Farseer - Dec-22-2011

The official movie trailer to The Hobbit has been released...not long now until the real deal reaches us! Clapping

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Valarya - Dec-23-2011

(Apr-07-2011, 03:01 PM (UTC))danieladamsmith Wrote: LET ME IN would be a great, gripping, lovely, exciting, unique film if there wasn't a Swedish film called LET THE RIGHT ONE IN.
The acting is a bit better in the American version but there's just an other worldliness to the original. The idea that Sweden as a pure, clean, orderly place is deconstructed in LTROI. It's dirty, people are drunk and not everything works.

Don't remake good films, remake bad ones...or reinterpret good ones. But essentially a shot for shot remake of a film is pointless.

Yes! This! I get so tired of "Americanized" things cropping up everywhere. Let the Right one In is definitely otherwordly, creepy, and just fantastic. I like the less-is-more approach some directors use where you have to conclude certain moments on your own, and explore letting you use your imagination to some degree. This reminds me of two other foreign movies I recently watched that were WONDERFUL.

Troll Hunter, which is Norwegian, flows like a Documentary of a guy who deals with actual Trolls in his daily life. It isn't campy, it isn't cheesy, and it's just so well done. It was streaming on Netflix (for those of you in the states?) a while back. Definitely worth checking out!

The other is Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale.. this one Finnish. It's a creepy, but well-done twist on Santa. Good to watch this time of year, eh!? Big Grin

(Edit: LOL @ the fact this post, including the quote, covers movies from Norway, Sweden & Finland. Hah!! Proud )

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - fool-ish - Dec-23-2011

Have you read the book 'Let The Right One In?' A good read, if a little unnerving. I too really enjoyed the film, though, as with most book to film transitions, some scenes didn't quite do the book justice. I haven't seen 'Let Me In' and don't really wish to. The original is more than good enough.

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - 'thul - Dec-23-2011

Trolljegeren (Troll hunter) is an excellent movie. The sole non-documentarian point these beings noticed is the boss of that electric plant. He's a well-known Norwegian comedian/actor.

These beings should get hold of the swedish "let the right one in" sometime, as they did enjoy "let me in".

Another movie you should watch is "Frostbiten". swedish Vampire movie set in the month of no sun far north in Sweden. Special effects there are extremely well-done. When looking at clips from the special effects company, these beings suddenly realized about one part that it was 100% digital, rather than slightly modified real object. (falling scalpel)
Too bad there's no evidence yet of a sequel, as it has opening for one. Strangely there's few Norwegian movies like those mentioned here with vampires.

"Let Me in" is actually fairly decently converted. It is not merely refilmed, as "Let the right one in" is set in sweden, whereas "let me in" is set in new mexico (USA).

One final movie you should watch from Scandinavia is "Max Manus". Highly recommended. Historic movie about a famous Norwegian anti-nazi saboteur/resistance fighter.

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Farseer - Dec-30-2011

Star Wars movie marathon...done! Yay

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - 'thul - Jan-28-2012

so many movies to watch, yet so few to find that haven't been seen already yet are interesting...

Oh, and Farseer... Might it be a decent idea to rename this thread from "Best movie you've ever seen." to "What are you watching?". It is rare for any here to change their favorite movie(s), but that does not mean they do not enjoy others. It could potentially promote additional examples of the lovely arguments/discussions here.

Related to that suggestion in being a relatively decent movie, but not a favorite of 'thul (very hard for any movie to become that), these beings watched part one of that last twilight movie.
It was decently made, with some notable differences from the book. Slow at first, but that improved further into it.
No doubt it is on the favorite list of many female humans in their teens, so in that manner, it might belong here, even with current thread title.