thePlenty.net Forums
What movie/s are you watching? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What movie/s are you watching? (/thread-114.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - 'thul - Sep-06-2010

actually, these beings have no idea who it is...

by the way, they also see no logical reasoning to define anything as "best movie they have ever seen". That is a subjective, fluctuating definition. It is not a constant. It is ethereal.

These beings you know as 'thul enjoy many movies. Just these past several hours, they enjoyed not only "The Fifth Element", but also "Ghost Rider".

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - redchild - Sep-07-2010

(Aug-18-2010, 12:55 PM (UTC))joost Wrote:
(Aug-17-2010, 11:58 PM (UTC))redchild Wrote: Anybody watch old films? Pre-codes?
I like several Silent-era German movies (Metropolis, Der Golem, M: Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder, Nosferatu). Apart from those, I've watched very little pre-WWII movies. I still need to watch the B&W version of The 10 commandments, which has been lying on my shelf for several years now.

Of your list I've only seen Metropolis. I'm still floored by the beautiful sets and special effects. I just hope one day somebody can find its last missing reels.

The only other German silent I've seen is Die Freudlose Gasse (The Joyless Street.) The newest restored version of the film is such an improvement over the truncated one that had been floating around for so long. Der blaue Engel (The Blue Angel) is a talkie that I found interesting. It's very long, however, and some parts are somewhat slow, but I think Emil Jannings' final scenes are completely worth it.

(Sep-06-2010, 09:05 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: actually, these beings have no idea who it is...

It's Mr. THIS IS SPARTAAAA!!!

Quote:Just these past several hours, they enjoyed not only "The Fifth Element", but also "Ghost Rider".

That movie is so fun.

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - joost - Sep-07-2010

I have Der blaue Engel lying here, but still haven't watched it.

Another silent-era movie that I really like is Battleship Potemkin.

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Nuytsia - Oct-07-2010

Hehehe I just found this ..... sorry to disappoint (with lack of snappy comebacks!)

Hmm Viggo well he's ok I guess and I actually didn't know the other guy either ..... I looked on imdb and I haven't seen any of the films he's been in so that explains it!!!

(Aug-29-2010, 09:22 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Jul-19-2010, 01:05 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Heh heh Farseer, dare we ask who you would find an attractive specimen?

Okay, I'm finally willing to bite...while Viggo had me in a dither during his LOTR and Hidalgo performances, for which attractive specimen would I specifically pay a cinema entrance fee/video rental to see? *drum roll*

I can only come up with one...Gerard Butler *awaits critical, lively comebacks P *

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Farseer - Oct-12-2010

(Oct-07-2010, 04:40 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Hehehe I just found this ..... sorry to disappoint (with lack of snappy comebacks!)
I actually didn't know the other guy either ..... I looked on imdb and I haven't seen any of the films he's been in so that explains it!!!

REALLY??!! He seems to be in so many movies of late! Actually, I'd probably pay to hear his voice more than see his performance...all a bit Sean Connery-ish really (actually they're both Scottish so there must be something in that P !) !

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Nuytsia - Oct-13-2010

I know - I'm so bad at missing movies! I won't go to the movies to see something unless I REALLY think it's going to be GREAT (so I don't go that much) and if a movie is on tele I'm usually only half paying attention while using the computer for something or reading a book .....
I really don't recall having seen any of those movies on his list though.....

Voice does make a huge difference I think too, hmmm Scottish accent not bad. I like all strong accents!!! Hehehe weird. Some more than others....

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - redchild - Oct-17-2010

The last two movies I saw were Requiem for a Dream and Bladerunner.

Requiem's pretty much scared me off any idea of trying addictive drugs. The idea of being utterly dependent on them is horrifying. Really effective film.

Bladerunner is absolutely gorgeous. I don't want to be around the day the movie is considered outdated or old fashioned. I've heard the book it's loosely based on is very different from the movie so I'm thinking of picking it up.

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Nuytsia - Oct-20-2010

(Oct-13-2010, 04:32 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: I know - I'm so bad at missing movies! I won't go to the movies to see something unless I REALLY think it's going to be GREAT (so I don't go that much)

Bah and then I hear about a movie I want to see and it's NOT playing in Tasmania!!!!!
Detective Dee and the mystery of the phantom flame....

redchild I haven't seen Bladerunner! *gasp*

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Farseer - Oct-20-2010

That's terrible, Nuytsia Down ! I could understand if it didn't play all over the state but it's not even showing in Hobart??

As for Bladerunner, I couldn't tell you who was in it, or even what it was about, but I do remember that I thought it was a TERRIFIC movie at the time of viewing (which would have been back in the early eighties, I'm guessing, and so I'd have been quite young when it was released). I also loved the title Smiling !

I will have to have an eighties movie night sometime soon, and revisit some of those great friends from my youth. I get to do it once in a while, like when I wanted to introduce my kids to 'Jaws' etc, but not as much as I'd like.

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Nuytsia - Oct-22-2010

Yeah! I think it's showing at Hoyts cinemas, which we don't have here!!! We have Village cinemas....
We have some small cinemas that usually would get stuff like that but it isn't showing there.. well not yet, maybe later!

Yay I don't feel so bad for not seeing Bladerunner now! It's got Harrison Ford hasn't it? (or am I crazy?) I am pretty sure it's been on TV from time to time, but maybe it's a cut down version.....