thePlenty.net Forums
What movie/s are you watching? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What movie/s are you watching? (/thread-114.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - redchild - Feb-19-2011

I seem to be going through a lot of movies lately, especially ones from the 80s...

Last movies I watched were: Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, and The Last Emperor.

Ferris and Breakfast Club are really well done films that tell the perspectives of adolescents/young adults. They make pretty good points about how adults seem to lose touch of how they once were when they were young and the idealism that once existed, only to end up being hypocrites who try to squash that same sense of idealism in the next generation. A most strange, yet all-too-common, human phenomenon. Both films are very funny, witty, and poignant.

It seems there were a lot of coming of age films in the 80s featuring rich/middle-class white angsty teenagers and I'm very interested in knowing why there was such a trend. On the other hand, it seems today's the angsty white teenagers are all vampires that don't have any character development (if only sociology/humanities were "practical" majors to study! :rolleyes:.) Also the sheer number of highly marketed rehashes have left me kind of disillusioned with more recent films.

The Last Emperor has the most beautiful cinematography (the sets and costumes are gorgeous) and score. A masterly crafted dramatization of Pu Yi's life as well as the fascinating time period it took place in. The movie's sparked my interest in reading his autobiography, his tutor's memoirs, as well as anything else pertaining to China/Japan during the war.

Ugh, too much information to research-- too little time to digest it all Dodgy

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - 'thul - Feb-19-2011

its fairly natural that the character development of vampiric characters is fairly slow, if not non-existent... If you've been the same way for the past century or so, why change?

Series/movies/books where vampire characters have newly been turned are more interesting on that front...

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Nuytsia - Feb-21-2011

(Feb-19-2011, 12:55 PM (UTC))redchild Wrote: It seems there were a lot of coming of age films in the 80s featuring rich/middle-class white angsty teenagers and I'm very interested in knowing why there was such a trend.

I hadn't noticed that before, but yes, maybe it is just because most American (?) film makers of the time were once rich/middle class white angsty teenagers?

(Feb-19-2011, 12:55 PM (UTC))redchild Wrote: On the other hand, it seems today's the angsty white teenagers are all vampires that don't have any character development

I know! Enough with the vampires already! I think it's just the tendency for people to copy each other... to notice that something was successful/popular and to say 'hey let's do that too!'

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - 'thul - Feb-21-2011

Well, there are many mediocre vampire movies, but there are also quite a few more interesting ones...

'thul would recommend a Swedish one by the name "Frostbiten". It is fairly unique, and it doesnt have that angsty white teenager vampire issue you mentioned.

Of course, the movie is in Swedish, but it is subtitled, so some understanding of Scandinavian languages may prove advantageous.

These beings would also recommend a different sort of movie... One called "the troll hunter". It is about what thet title is.

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Farseer - Feb-22-2011

(Feb-21-2011, 03:15 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote:
(Feb-19-2011, 12:55 PM (UTC))redchild Wrote: On the other hand, it seems today's the angsty white teenagers are all vampires that don't have any character development

I know! Enough with the vampires already! I think it's just the tendency for people to copy each other... to notice that something was successful/popular and to say 'hey let's do that too!'

I guess he could be called an angsty, coming of age, white teenager (??) , not to mention the obligatory orphan, but the good thing about Harry Potter is that there is a somewhat different spin on the story that surrounds him, and one which would be hard to copy without being obvious (the result of which could not be cast aside and would warrant the wrath of the world coming down on the person doing the copying!).

Ah, but this is probably more for the fantasy literature thread, the name of which alludes me... Book

The Breakfast Club...wow...that takes me back to the Brat Pack days! Smiling

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - redchild - Feb-22-2011

(Feb-21-2011, 03:15 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: I hadn't noticed that before, but yes, maybe it is just because most American (?) film makers of the time were once rich/middle class white angsty teenagers?

I believe it had to do with the general atmosphere of wealth and materialism that was prevalent at the time. That, and it seems every generation since the Lost Generation of the 1920s has been trying to 'break away' from their parents' generation.

(Feb-22-2011, 03:02 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: The Breakfast Club...wow...that takes me back to the Brat Pack days! Smiling

I think I've been instigating a nostalgia trip for you since the past few posts LOL

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - joost - Feb-22-2011

John Hughes did several good movies in the '80s. Breakfast club, Pretty in pink, 16 candles, Ferris Bueller, Weird science...

Last watched movies/series:
9. Bought this because Tim Burton's name was on it. It's not bad but not as good as I had hoped.
Death note. The live action movie of the manga. Several plotlines that aren't in the book, but enjoyable nonetheless. Misa is a disappointment, but L was really good.
Heroes S4 Talked about it somewhere else.
Resident evil: Afterlife. I really like the first few RE movies, but this wasn't very good.
Shrek: Forever after. Shrek is Shrek. I just like those movies.
Purple violets. Hmm. Selma Blair was OK in this movie, but the story just didn't get very interesting.
Jack and Jill vs. the world. Hmm. I strongly dislike Freddie Prinze jr. but this wasn't a bad movie.
Ten inch hero. I loved this movie. Just the right amount of humour and romance.
Crazy love. I read the desciption and wasn't convinced, but the main actress made this an enjoyable watch.
Ghost in the shell: Stand alone complex. The two GITS movies are among my favourite anime, and while this series isn't as good, it's still fun to watch.

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Farseer - Feb-23-2011

(Feb-22-2011, 01:07 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: Shrek: Forever after. Shrek is Shrek. I just like those movies.

This is the only one in the 'recent' list I've seen! Big Grin I, too, am a Shrek fan...I laugh no matter how many times I've seen or heard the punchline!

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - 'thul - Mar-01-2011

best movie today is the one called "tremors". its an old movie from 1990, so the special effects are somewhat primitive, but its good entertainment... nice burrowing monsters that find you humans appetizing...

Classical monster movie, in essence... with fairly original monsters and plenty of elements of humor.

RE: Best movie you've ever seen. - Oblivia - Mar-18-2011

The Crow. No contest.