thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-23-2012

Me too. Have you read Anansi Boys, by the way? I understand it's some kind of semi-sequel to American Gods?

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - joost - Oct-23-2012

(Oct-23-2012, 07:02 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Me too. Have you read Anansi Boys, by the way? I understand it's some kind of semi-sequel to American Gods?
I have and it is. But it's a completely different style, more humorous. It's not bad but not in my list of Gaiman-favourites.

If you like short(er) stories, you could check out Smoke&Mirrors or Fragile things, both are compilations.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-24-2012

Well, I just finished Fritz Leiber's The First Book of Lankhmar. One warning: while these stories are entertaining, don't read the entire volume in one go like I did. It's a complitation of four short story collections, clocking in at 762 pages, and all in all it's a bit too overwhelming. I do own The Second Book of Lankhmar, but I won't be reading it right away.

So, now I plan on reading some non-ficting before going back to my to-read pile. The Lankhmar books have been there for ages, and I want to read some other books that have been there a while. Prime contenders at the moment are That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis and The Dragon Revenant by Katharine Kerr.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Oct-26-2012

seems that read was done too quickly, but re-reading City of Dragons ought to help with the unfortunate lack of sequel to the book mentioned in previous post....

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Oct-26-2012

I rarely read self-help type of books (in my experience, they rarely help or enlighten and, more often than not, have the opposite effect on me!) but have today had to purchase and immediately commence reading, "When I Say No, I Feel Guilty" by Manual J Smith...lest I implode. Big Grin Only a little way in but I think I may have to then head on into something like "Too Nice for Your Own Good" by Duke Robinson! P

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Oct-26-2012

Seems that re-read went by quickly... all done already...

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Oct-29-2012

Still reading Wraeththu. I'm on a go-slow as far as reading's concerned at the moment..work and other stuff getting in the way. It's a good read though...if you're interested in a sci-fi tale about a race of post-apocalyptic hermaphrodites! Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Oct-30-2012

These beings are currently reading into their old story project, editing it while reading. It is strange how things change on the go.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-30-2012

After a couple of non-fiction books by Lewis and Epicurus, I elected to go with That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis as my next novel. Supposedly it's not as good as the first two books in the trilogy, but I haven't read enough yet to judge. I can say that it's not a particularly subtle book, but I think no one was expecting that.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Valarya - Oct-30-2012

(Oct-29-2012, 10:23 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Still reading Wraeththu. I'm on a go-slow as far as reading's concerned at the moment..work and other stuff getting in the way. It's a good read though...if you're interested in a sci-fi tale about a race of post-apocalyptic hermaphrodites! Smiling

Haha, sounds interesting!! Big Grin

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm still in the middle of the Vorkosigan series. 12-18 books (depending on if you read the short-stories or not) of pure sci-fi. I like the main-character and the stories are definitely interesting, but it isn't something that requires a lot of theorizing and discussion like RotE or aSoIaF. Um, I think I'm on book 6. Book