thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-01-2012

these beings are about to start reading "Academ's Fury", second book of Jim Butcher's Codex Alera.

From how good the first book was, 'thul will highly recommend you reading it.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-05-2012

these beings are now more than halfway into First Lord's Fury, the sixth book in the series. They can firmly say that it is well worth reading the series.

oh, and what do you think when you see this cover?
it is from the fifth book.
[Image: Princeps_fury.jpg]

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Nov-06-2012

Wink

'twas such a good idea, 'tis no wonder that others have wished to emulate it.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-06-2012

true enough.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-07-2012

Is that a living figurehead? Brings back memories for sure.

Anyway, I finished That Hideous Strangth yesterday and I have to say that while I liked the first two books in the trilogy, this one didn't work for me. (However, they're basically stand-alone adventures, so don't let that deter you from reading the first two books if they sound interesting to you.) Lewis has a fine imagination, but his books are as subtle as a blow to the face. In any case, that's one less book on the to-read pile. I'm whittling it down pretty fast these days.

Next up: The Dragon Revenant by Katharine Kerr. It's time to finally finish the first Deverry quartet.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-07-2012

actually, its a living ship. a wood spirit.

but the figurehead is mobile, yes.

been a while since these beings read Deverry.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-09-2012

I seem te remember you being quite fond of those books. The Dragon Revenant has actually spent quite a while on my to-read pile. I bought it together with The Bristling Wood, but the problem is that I have a... I don't know what the right word is. Not defective, but there is a weird "fold" in the middle of the pages that makes the book slightly difficult to open and the margins are very narrow, leiding to words nearly going into the "gutter" in the middle of the book. I have to almost tear open the book to read it and that gets pretty tiresome pretty fast. Which is a shame, because I'm rather enjoying the book.

I understand that this is the end of the first Deverry "subseries". How do the rest measure up, thul? Are they equally good? Better? Worse?

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-09-2012

These beings may have to reread the final book sometime, but first impression was that it wasn't quite sufficient to break down such a large story that quickly.

The rest however is quite good and enjoyable. A very nice story.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - joost - Nov-11-2012

Raymond E. Feist - Magician

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-11-2012

Not an overly bad book that, joost...