thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Nov-15-2012

^ Slurp

(Nov-13-2012, 07:49 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Wasn't that link useful, Farseer?

It was useful, in that it took me to a thread where I was happy to go Big Grin and letting me know that the problem is isolated to me and not the entire site, but not so useful in working out or fixing my own problem. P Investigation is required Detective ...and time. Down

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-16-2012

its probably something minor... you didn't add any odd symbols or leave out one of the brackets, did you?

'thul has been reading significant portions of Jeanne C. Stein's Anna Strong series.
Yet another vampire-main-character series, a fairly decent one at that.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-16-2012

(Nov-12-2012, 08:17 PM (UTC))joost Wrote:
(Nov-12-2012, 07:49 PM (UTC))mmmmmmm Wrote: I [...] now can't stand books in which [...] people constantly win battles against overwhelming odds Dodgy
You're right, this should only work when the odds are a million to one.

Oh man, that brings back memories of all those Magic: the Gathering tie-in novels I read in my teens. The early ones weren't so bad, but later novels in the franchise... hoo boy!

Anyway, I finished The Dragon Revenant earlier this week. I did enjoy it, but I do have a number of issues with the series. The first is that, apart from the reincarnation angle, the worldbuilding doesn't seem very special. Yes, I know the first quartet was witten in the eighties, but still, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. The second is that the villains are almost cartoonishly evil. Would people really call themselves stuff like "The Dark Brotherhood"?

I'm now reading The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks. Maybe it's because I read that book so recently, but I think I see some parallels with That Hideous Strength. Both feature an innocuous looking scientific institute which acts as a front for a shadowy organization that wants to control the world, guided by powers from beyond this world. Anyway, it's not bad but it is somewhat amateurishly written.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-16-2012

more likely than anyone calling themselves evil

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-23-2012

Nearly done with The Traveller. (Yeah, I'm a slow reader these days.) I really liked it in the beginning, but now I'm struggling to actually finish it. After I finish it, I'm going to read either Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card or The Stories We Live By by Dan P. McAdams (a non-fiction book that I've read excerpts from earlier this year... I liked it.)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Nov-23-2012

(Nov-23-2012, 10:02 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Nearly done with The Traveller. (Yeah, I'm a slow reader these days.)

You still manage to get through them, AR! Honestly, the closest thing I have to reading these days is my SoM audio book...which I haven't had a chane to continue listening to for a while!

School holidays are almost here but I expect that things will still be far too busy for much reading. Down I have so many books I want to read! Surrender If I had some discipline, and be able to stick to a chapter a night or something, it wouldn't be so bad...but I can't even manage that with RotE 'research'! P

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Nov-24-2012

these beings also do not read much these days after finishing "Codex Alera".

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Nov-25-2012

Finally finished Wraeththu! Blink And while one may think it perhaps wasn't so good a tale, because it's taken so long to read, that isn't the case at all. It was very good and quite unlike anything I've read before.

Anyway, I'm now reading 'From The Ashes Of Angels' (the forbidden legacy of a fallen race) by Andrew Collins; a bit of non-fiction (though that's debatable, considering the subject matter) for a change! After that, I'm going to give 'The Dragonbone Chair' by Tad Williams a go. Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - fool-ish - Dec-07-2012

Started The Dragonbone Chair. It's ok, though not particularly gripping me just yet. There are some very religious aspects within the story, direct references to the Christian faith, but with name changes to suit the fantasy nature of the book, which is somewhat odd to read at times. However, I'll crack on with it regardless and let you know the outcome. Book

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Dec-07-2012

A bit of light reading in the apartment room, I'm reading a Kindle-for-PC version of 'Jim Reeves: His Untold Story'. A singer from the 1950s and 60s, I think he may have died a decade or so before I was even born but his records were like the background music to my childhood, as were Charley Pride's.

My son, the one recovering from surgery, is almost done with his foray into the Fifty Shades trilogy Blink and so is finally looking to head back into the Realm of the Elderlings, now that he has time to get through the whole tale in the one block. Clapping Last attempt, he got all the way through to the release of DK but stumbled and then stopped when he came across something he couldn't quite accept.