thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-24-2013

I have studied Philosophy and Religious Studies. (Which is not the same as theology. Theologians do religion while people who do Religious Studies... well, study it. I am in fact an atheist.) While very interesting, the job prospects are very hazy. So I've been doing basically nothing for months on end while a huge load of job applications have been rejected. (I do still have a part-time job as mailman, but it's not enough to support myself.)

That's why I decided to take this course. Philosophy is an elective subject in many Dutch high schools (meaning the school you attend between 12 and 18 years; a more accurate translation would be "middle school") and there is a compulsory subject named "levensbeschouwing", which translates to "world view". It is a subject that incorpartes elements of both philosohpy and teaching about religion. (Note: children learn about different religions. It is not supposed to be actual religious instruction.) With my academic background I am eminently qualified to teach these subjects, to say the least. It's mostly pedagogical skills I will have to learn.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-24-2013

theologists believe in religion and those having taken religious studies are thoroughly qualified to mock religion?

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-24-2013

That is not what I mean. People who study religion may be religious themselves, agnostic or atheists. I've encountered many attitudes among my fellow students. Likewise, the term "atheist" does not mean that one holds a negative attitude towards religion, it simply means a lack of belief.

Religious Studies in a interdisciplinary subject. It means learning about religious doctrines and practices, yes. It also means analyzing the phenomenon "religion" from historical, psychological and sociological perspectives.

Teaching about religion in schools is to be done impartially. A teacher is not allowed to favor one religion in atheism in front of his students, but has to teach them what their teachings are and challenge them to work out what to believe for themselves. I'm not saying a theologian couldn't teach this subject, I'm just pointing out what the difference is. Theology is very much "from within". Religious Studies is "from outside".

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-24-2013

these beings know. They are just in a joking mood today.

I see, but irony doesn't always come across in print. And since religion can be a very touchy topic, I didn't want anyone to doubt what I have been up to. (Although it has to be said that scholars of religion are amply qualified to criticise religion, which can of course be mistaken for mocking.)

true.

all these words fit, though not all are usable in all situations (especially with true believers)

discuss
criticize
argue about
mock
poke holes in
etc.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Jan-24-2013

(Jan-24-2013, 01:39 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Teaching about religion in schools is to be done impartially. A teacher is not allowed to favor one religion in atheism in front of his students, but has to teach them what their teachings are and challenge them to work out what to believe for themselves. I'm not saying a theologian couldn't teach this subject, I'm just pointing out what the difference is. Theology is very much "from within". Religious Studies is "from outside".

All so true. Smiling

It's scary to have so much power but I think the act of a teacher even simply sharing what they do or don't believe could cause a student to sway one way or the other, with teachers having such influence on their students' lives.

I think it's a very interesting path you've taken, AR, good on you. Based on the many, many discussions I have had even with my own children, I can just imagine the wonderful discussions you will have with your future students!

When learning about religion(s) in general, having an atheistic teacher can be quite good. They won't come with the "my god is better than your god"-argument. A silly argument unless your god happens to actually interfere and back up the words.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-28-2013

Of course, an atheist teacher might attempt to pressure the children into atheism. It's a very tricky balance. If all goes well, my internship is starting next week.

And because I brought it up: the hardcover edition of Tuf Voyaging has been cancelled. However, both GRRM's UK and US publishers are coming soon with new paperback editions. So I still get to read the book... I just wish it really has been a hardcover.

Currently reading: The World's Religions by Huston Smith.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Jan-28-2013

Though they do not plan on reading them quite yet, these beings have picked up a few books by Robert Jordan. Fourteen of them to be exact.