thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Mar-03-2013

These beings just finished reading the fourth book of the wheel of time. Quite entertaining end to it.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - joost - Mar-03-2013

Finished book 3 of Flowers of evil, book 5 of Yotsuba&! and now reading The willful princess.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Farseer - Mar-04-2013

Last week-ish I read the ebook 'Perfect Stranger', which is a novella based on the world of The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks...yes, the trilogy that I didn't enjoy and ranted about extensively here. P I didn't enjoy the same aspects of the novella but, still, I did enjoy reading one of the main character's backstory.

There are few who the trilogy etc doesn't appeal to so by all means give it a go...you may very well love it. Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Valarya - Mar-04-2013

(Mar-03-2013, 03:31 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings just finished reading the fourth book of the wheel of time. Quite entertaining end to it.

Book 4 was a great book... with the next (5) being even better. Most people see the next few (6, 7, 8) as extremely slow, but I liked them. The more detail in a world, the happier I am - which is why I love huge series, typically. And I didn't mind all the politics of Tar Valon.

P.S. Book 9 was my favorite book.

--------

I just finished the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The first half of the first book was extremely slow, and I had no idea where it was going, but then it picked right up. I rarely put the books down after that, and towards the last half of the last book I felt Abercrombie piled all the threads of the story up nicely and then set them on f--king fire. The last chapter was titled 'The Beginning' and I couldn't help feel that the characters were all in the same exact places as they were when the story began. Quite different, that. Ouch[/u]

Abercrombie is a very brutal author, where the world is gritty, realistic, almost noir-fantasy. Characters you like die. Characters you hate have good shit happen to them. Martin-esque, if you will. The ending left a very strange taste in my mouth, but I've grown to see the brilliance of it. Whistling

I give it a #recommend.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Mar-04-2013

well, these beings are now 310 pages into book 5, so it is definitely not boring.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - o0Ampy0o - Mar-08-2013

I just completed Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow (excellent!) and am now reading Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Valarya - Mar-08-2013

(Mar-08-2013, 11:15 PM (UTC))o0Ampy0o Wrote: ....and am now reading Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings.

I have heard great things about that book! I can't wait to read it, myself. Book

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - 'thul - Mar-09-2013

Its very good. Highly recommended.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - joost - Mar-15-2013

Finished Yotsuba&! volume 8 today. Have to wait for the next volumes to arrive, so now I'm reading 'Playing the game', an erotica ebook about an American soccer player and his problems growing up. The soccer parts are boring, the erotica parts are somewhat OK, but I'm a sucker for 'coming of age' stories.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - joost - Mar-18-2013

And finished 'Playing the game'. Going to start with Paradise Kiss now, a manga by Ai Yazawa (who also wrote Nana). I love Nana, and I've heard so much good things about ParaKiss, so I'm very much looking forward to this.
I've also restarted City of dragons, because BoD arrived last week. I'm gonna switch between PK and CoD for the next few weeks.