thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Norma J. - Sep-16-2013

Can anyone who read the George R.R. Martin series tell me on what I should focus in his books? His writing, to me, is the most glaring of the authors who write a very bad story and mainly be sure to suck one into waiting eagerly for the next book that never get anywhere worth going. Yet, he seems to receive great accolades. I just can't see it, though I would be glad to.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Valarya - Sep-16-2013

What to focus on?! Why, I have no idea what you mean. It's a book in front of you, dear... read it from cover to cover and let the author take you on a journey. I don't know how far you've read, but I was hooked from the first few chapters of book 1. Book

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - o0Ampy0o - Sep-17-2013

Norma J,

You may have gotten a mistaken impression of George R.R. Martin and A Song of Ice and Fire. I hope you can set aside your initial perceptions and find the treasure in the series. Martin was the author that proved to me good writing transcends a genre.

I was not interested in fantasy. I only read non-fiction. Everything else was a waste of time IMO. People strongly recommended Martin because he wrote so well and his characters were so rich.

Martin develops many characters not just a couple in his stories. They are three-dimensional maybe even five-dimensional? There are many to love, even the evil people. Martin is not afraid to build a favorite character then drastically alter them through events or kill them off. He is a Master of character development.

It has been a while but it could not have taken long to grab me or I would have abandoned the first book in the series. I loved the first three books. I was in love as I read them.

I have not read beyond Storm of Swords. The books that have followed have been met with strong criticism. Until the series is complete we will not know whether everything written is essential and what may be superfluous. If it turns out that Martin wandered too far from his original focus perhaps within my lifetime there will be an editor's cut that removes the perceived bloat in the later books. Maybe a fan will find this a worthwhile project......no adding allowed, just trimming the fat. I am waiting until the final book(s) is/are completed before continuing on past Storm of Swords.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Resendes - Aug-17-2017

(Sep-16-2013, 02:01 AM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: What to focus on?! Why, I have no idea what you mean. It's a book in front of you, dear... read it from cover to cover and let the author take you on a journey. I don't know how far you've read, but I was hooked from the first few chapters of book 1.  Book

Same here, give these books a chance and you wont be disapointed.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - NorbertRas - Jan-17-2018

Quote:Same here, give these Anadrole benefits books a chance and you wont be disapointed.

I just finished reading Ubik by Philip K Dick. Loved it! I'm about to start reading the third book in the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Any Sanderson fans in here? I love that guy.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - mistrali - Jan-03-2020

Currently devouring LST, and after that moving on to Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham until I can get my hands on RWC.

Having just read about ‘nuclear suburn’ in another Chernobyl book, the Wintrow venom episode in MS unnerved me.

RE: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Lady Persephone - May-13-2020

I'm reading Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, or rather having it read to me. Book  My partner's been reading me a few chapters before we go to sleep in the evenings and it's like a refreshing cup of sci-fi tea. Smiling