thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-11-2010

Between writing papers on God's omnisience (I think I spelt that wrong) and His very existence, I don't have all that much time to read these days, but I'm currently reading Onmacht (Powerless) by Charles den Tex. It's a novella given away with Dutch books during the Maand van het spannende boek (Month of the exciting book). It is... actually sort of unpleasant.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-28-2010

I just finished reading The Standing Dead by Ricardo Pinto, part two of the trilogy The Stone Dance of the Chameleon. It's a story that I have very mixed feelings about. On the one hand, the worldbuilding is fantastic - it's like nothings I've ever seen before. But the story is perilously thin at times and the books are a bit overlong. I have the third book in my possession, but I'll take a breather before reading on. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to read now.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Manephelien - Jun-28-2010

Terry Pratchett: Unseen Academicals

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-29-2010

I've started reading GRRM's Dreamsongs part 2, and honestly I'm not very impressed with the Tuf Voyaging tales. Ah well, I'm sure the rest will be back to form...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-05-2010

Still busy with Dreamsongs. Just read Shell games, a story from the Wild Cards sequence. Pretty interesting, must check out this series. Way better than Tuf.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Jul-09-2010

You're obviously on holiday, Albertosaurus Rex...your reading material is quite a bit different from a month or so ago Smiling !!

I've made it to the beginning of Chapter Seven of 'Shaman's Crossing' and must admit that (now that I've made it over the initial hurdle of getting into it) I am thoroughly enjoying it so far! I want to get the Soldier Son trilogy read before I finally begin the Pern books.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-09-2010

Actually, there's still one paper to finish. The one about God's existence. But indeed, there are no more classes until september, so I'm allowing myself a little more time off.

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Jul-09-2010

Warriors. The RH story is a lot different than what I'm used of her, but of course there's a dragon in it. Although different, it's still a nice story. I really like this sort of historic fiction (see my love for Mary Gentle's books).

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Jul-11-2010

These beings called 'thul are quite surprised. Aside from the obvious Robin Hobb books, they have not read a single book mentioned so far in this thread, despite having read countless books.
They have heard about a few of the series, but not most of them.

Of the books they are currently reading (5+), the main focus is "Rhapsody" by Elisabeth Haydon. Most of the other books/series currently being read by them are non-fantasy.

The aforementioned book is the first in a long series by that author. Highly recommended for all fantasy-lovers.
Other series they would recommend are:
All books by "David & Leigh Eddings" (26+ books) - They're highly addictive, just like Robin Hobb books...
The Sword of Truth series by "Terry Goodkind" (11 books)

They would continue listing, but they realize that would be cruel to those intending to read it all. Addictions come far too easily in books. All of the series by those authors are finished, so no waiting needed. (except the series by Elisabeth Haydon)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-11-2010

Nearly done with Dreamsongs, just one more story to go. Now the question is, this friday I will embark on a two-week vacation to France. What shall I take with me? I have some nicely thick books lying around. Maybe I'll take the first of my newly acquired Godspeaker books with me, or The Third God, or The Count of Monte Cristo (which seems appropriate, come to think of it). It's a tough choice...

Until then, I think I'll amuse myself with Garth Nix's short story collection Across the Wall...