thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - redchild - Aug-13-2010

I used to read one book at a time. Now it's just multiplied...

Currently reading:
George RR Martin's Storm of Swords. It's been a while since I last finished Clash of Kings so it's been kind of tricky for me to remember the details of what had happened since.

CG Jung: The Portable Jung. I just got this in the mail today and wow-- it's a veritable BIBLE :shock:

Carl Sagan & Ann Druyan: Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors. Nearly finished with this one. Very insightful read (as is anything when it comes to Sagan.)

TH White's Candle in the Wind. I only have this and Sword in the Stone to finish off The Once and Future King.

Yeah I'm trying to squeeze in all I can before fall semester begins and I'll be stuck reading required texts.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-13-2010

(Aug-13-2010, 06:02 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: Yeah I'm trying to squeeze in all I can before fall semester begins and I'll be stuck reading required texts.

I am well aware of that phenomenon. In fall, my reading slows a lot and sometimes stops altogether, either because I don't have time to read for fun, or because I have read so much required texts that I don't feel like reading any more.

Halfway through Dangerous Visions. On another note, I managed to get a discount copy of The Three Musketeers. Yay!

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Aug-13-2010

(Aug-13-2010, 06:02 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: CG Jung: The Portable Jung. I just got this in the mail today and wow-- it's a veritable BIBLE :shock:

Hmm so is the 'portable' a joke or is there actually a literally non-portable version that you have to visit somewhere to read? Uhhuh

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Aug-14-2010

Starting Chapter Twenty-One of 'The Magicians' Guild' but wanted to come on and make some predictions as it was so much fun when I did it for the Soldier Son series! I think Manephelian may be the only one to have read the Black Magician trilogy though?

The Magicians' Guild spoilers

RE: What are you reading right now? - redchild - Aug-14-2010

(Aug-13-2010, 02:32 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote:
(Aug-13-2010, 06:02 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: CG Jung: The Portable Jung. I just got this in the mail today and wow-- it's a veritable BIBLE :shock:

Hmm so is the 'portable' a joke or is there actually a literally non-portable version that you have to visit somewhere to read? Uhhuh

Actually it's a compilation of Jung's works. The title is a bit strange but that's because it's one in a series called the Viking Portable Library, which has books of compiled works from different people or subjects, to make it easier than having to hunt down the different volumes yourself.

So actually the title would be Jung (as it reads on the spine)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-15-2010

Nearly finished Dangerous Visions, and I'm sort of glad about it. Most of it is very good, but the sheer amount of stories and the constant changing of styles and of "dangerous" ideas is a little overwhelming. I'm eyeing a larger story for my next read, probably The Three Musketeers.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Aug-16-2010

Just started on a new book, "and all the kings men". It is pseudo-history, a sort of "what if" story, based on a theoretical successful german invasion of Great Britain in WWII and thus a British resistance movement... Not gotten far yet, but it looks promising...

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Aug-17-2010

Speculative and alternate history can be very good. My favourite writer in that genre is Mary Gentle. Ash: A secret history (about the fall of Burgundy in 1477) is one of the best books I've ever read.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-17-2010

Reading The Three Musketeers now, having fun.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Aug-18-2010

Hmmm my jokes lose something in translation!

Also, Farseer your spoilers about that book you're reading sounded almost like the latest plot in Neighbours ........ until it got to 'high lords' and 'magic' anyway.....