thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Aug-18-2010

(Aug-16-2010, 07:27 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Just started on a new book, "and all the kings men". It is pseudo-history, a sort of "what if" story, based on a theoretical successful german invasion of Great Britain in WWII and thus a British resistance movement... Not gotten far yet, but it looks promising...

Just finished it... It was at least as excellent as 'thul'd hoped...
They kept guessing at details, and even got a couple of the guesses right.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Aug-21-2010

(Aug-17-2010, 08:03 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: Speculative and alternate history can be very good.

I have 'Gray Victory' at home which covers what may have happened if the South, and not the North, had won the American Civil War...will have to finally read it one day. It has been on my shelf since I was about 12 (and I am very soon to be 37 Ouch!) but I thought alternative history was an intriguing idea even back then. I haven't read any other that I can think of.

Finished reading the Black Magician trilogy last week sometime...was definitely a good read but there was one aspect I didn't overly enjoy and I'm not going to tell you what (I'll have 95% of the world wanting to hang me!)! I can see why Trudi Canavan may have been confused with Robin Hobb (as per her Twitter entry that is here on thePlenty's main page)...there were a few similarities that I could see, particularly between 'mental communication' and the abilitiy to Skill. I don't watch Neighbours (!!) but I can imagine, and I was WAY WRONG with my predictions anyhow!!

ps Nuytsia, I got the joke if that's any consolation P !

RE: What are you reading right now? - NeverBeenWise - Aug-25-2010

The Liveships Trilogy. Big Grin They're wonderful.

The Temeraire series is an alternate history of the Napoleonic wars... with dragons! It sounds really cheesy, but the author, Naomi Novik, pulls it off extremely well. So far there are five books, I think, and there is talk of a movie. They'd better not ruin it... *grumble grumble threaten*

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-25-2010

Hey, it's being done by Peter Jackson, right? I would trust the guy who filmed LOTR with anything.

I'm now reading Rashomon, a selection of stories by the Japanese author Ryunosuke Akutagawa. It's nice.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Aug-25-2010

Farseer Wink

Hey I was reading about Peter Jackson having the rights to the Temeraire movie just the other day!!!! I have been meaning to read those books for ages. Sort of OT, ok wildly OT, but I saw on Naomi Novik's blog there is a competition for fans to do fan art using her characters in basically ANY scenario and the winners will get a short story written by Naomi based on the scenario they portrayed. FUN!!!!! Knight
WOW I can't imagine most authors allowing that.... Blink

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Aug-25-2010

'tis very dangerous... especially if the artist has a good imagination...

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Aug-25-2010

Jude Fisher - Fool's gold trilogy

Fairly standard (northern viking-like society versus southern middle-eastern-like society) but I really like it. Katla Aransen is a character that I just loved from page one.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Mervi - Aug-25-2010

I've read the first Temeraire book, and really liked it! I was concerned I'd have to know a lot of details about the real history to "get" it, but that wasn't the case at all. It was an "easy" read compared to Hobb or Martin, but really enjoyable. I'm not sure whether to continue though - does the quality stay just as good? I think the first book has a really good ending, I felt comfortable leaving our heroes to where they were at that moment.

RE: What are you reading right now? - NeverBeenWise - Aug-25-2010

Surprisingly, the books are consistently good. I haven't read the last couple chapters of the fourth book or the entire fifth book, but I thought they were all wonderful.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-26-2010

That's another series that I will have to check out. ah, so many books, so little time...

Currently reading: Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, an SF thriller I've heard many good things about. It looks good so far.