thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - maulkin - May-07-2009

I loved the Death Gate series too. It was certainly a step up from the Dragonlance books for Weis and Hickman (although Raistlin will always be one of my favourite fantasy characters).

RE: What are you reading right now? - chriSchaeffer - May-07-2009

(May-07-2009, 06:07 AM (UTC))Chiquita Wrote: chriSchaeffer.. how did you like the Death Gate series? That was the first fantasy series I ever read and I really enjoyed it. I'm assuming you've finished them all now since your original post was a year ago.. heh!

I liked the Death Gate series. It was different from anything else I had written so I enjoyed the break from my typical fantasy book.

Right now I'm reading The Briar King and I'm having a hard time remembering all the characters' names and the book is starting to drag. Anyone else read The Briar King? Does it get better?

RE: What are you reading right now? - Tintaglia - May-07-2009

(May-07-2009, 02:38 PM (UTC))chriSchaeffer Wrote: Anyone else read The Briar King? Does it get better?
My boyfriend. He hated it so much I never disturbed myself to read it...

RE: What are you reading right now? - maulkin - May-11-2009

I'm now reading When Life Nearly Died by Michael J Benton, a book about the Permian mass extinction. Sometimes fact is stranger (and more dramatic) than fiction!

RE: What are you reading right now? - chriSchaeffer - May-11-2009

@maulkin
Interesting choice of books. I read way too much of that stuff in college. I was a Biology major and I would never think to pick up something like that to read for fun.

@tintaglia
I put The Briar King back on the shelf. I'll give it another try later. I just couldn't get into it. Too slow. Now I'm reading Running Blind by Lee Child. One of the Jack Reacher books. They are so much fun to read.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/455925.Running_Blind

RE: What are you reading right now? - Changer - May-11-2009

The dark chamber of Damocles, one of the few good dutch literary books in my opinion. It's about a guy in German occupied Holland with a mental defect or something like that,

RE: What are you reading right now? - maulkin - May-12-2009

(May-11-2009, 03:19 PM (UTC))chriSchaeffer Wrote: @maulkin
Interesting choice of books. I read way too much of that stuff in college. I was a Biology major and I would never think to pick up something like that to read for fun.
I'm a biology lecturer (I never left university) but I still enjoy reading popular science and I can pretend that I am working so it is a guilt-free pleasure!

RE: What are you reading right now? - Sini - May-13-2009

(May-07-2009, 02:38 PM (UTC))chriSchaeffer Wrote: Right now I'm reading The Briar King and I'm having a hard time remembering all the characters' names and the book is starting to drag. Anyone else read The Briar King? Does it get better?

I enjoyed the first 2 books, but only finished the series because I wanted to know how it ends. And now I don't even remember. 3rd and 4th weren't any good. So I'd say don't bother.

I've been under quite a lot of stress lately, so I'm reading easy fluffy entertainment books. JD Robb, JR Ward and stuff like that. Lots of problems with men/vampires/love and a mystery to solve...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Mystic Metal - Jun-23-2009

I always read a lot of books at the same time..
at the moment I'm reading:
Assassin's Apprentice
The Windsingers
Daughter Of The Empire by Raymond E. Feist (I'm reading it in dutch)
and Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-05-2009

Knielen op een bed violen bij Jan Siebelink. A Dutch novel about a man who becomes influenced by a very dark sort of calvinism.