thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-05-2010

these beings have begun to read books by George R R Martin now... So far they have read "the hedge knight" & "the sworn sword"...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-07-2010

I'm trying to read two books at once again. At home I now read The Name of the Rose. But the copy I have is quite large and thick, so taking it with me to university is inconvenient. So I'm taking along The City of Towers by Keith Baker, a much smaller, slimmer volume.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-16-2010

I find that I'm not reading all that much for pleasure these days. When I get home, I've been reading stuff all day, so I have to do something else to get it all off my mind. I do read for fun on the train though, which has the strange result that I am making more progress on The City of Towers (Which I would characterise as "junkfood fantasy": it helps pass the time, but it's not especially good by any stretch of the imagination) than on The Name of the Rose, which is a better book.

I have, however, ordered Disciple of the Dog via Amazon UK, as it officially came out today, but I haven't seen it yet in local bookstores. This is a novel that I am very, very eager to read. It's not often that I shell out for hardcovers...

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-16-2010

These beings are about halfway done with "A storm of Swords" (page 302 out of 629)

So far they are very much enjoying the series...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-17-2010

There is a certain event that occurs about halfway through the book that I want to know if you've read it, but the very name of the event is a huge spoiler, so I'll refrain from asking now.

Did I mention that ordering a hardcover book from Amazon.co.uk, even with the hefty cost of shipping to the Netherlands, is still cheaper than buying from a regular or online Dutch bookstore? Ah, it's good to have some options in this world...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Sep-17-2010

Just like Australia Albertosaurus!
Crazy stuff isn't it. Glad to hear we're not alone though. I imagine the shipping cost to Australia is even more than to the Netherlands. (surely?)
Although to be totally accurate, I think the cost through *amazon* is actually about the same as buying it in a bookstore or online here. Buying from the book depository is definitely a lot cheaper than buying it here though. Apparently it's 'free shipping' but surely they must build that cost into the price of the book.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-17-2010

To be fair, the difference is only about 3 euro, but hey, that's 3 euro's I can spend on something else now.

I remember when I bought Dragon Keeper from Amazon UK for about 22 euro (That's including the shipping). Bol.com, my favorite Dutch online bookstore, sold it for 25 euro and Scheltema for a whopping 30 euro.

Anyway, to keep on topic: things are starting to get interesting in The Name of the Rose. The City of Towers? Not so much, but I will finish it anyway. It keep me occupied on the train.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-18-2010

*thul has nearly finished reading it. (only epilogue left)
What was the event you referred to?

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-18-2010

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-18-2010

it did not surprise 'thul... there'd been enough strange twists where characters survived where they would not normally have done it... He had to kill of some of the characters to let the story move...

oh, and 'thul really liked this part: "valar morghulis" (all aspects of it)