thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Mervi - Sep-18-2010

I guess I'm too much of a Tolkien buff but "valar morghulis" has always sounded quite ridiculous to me. Valar = the god-like spirits that govern the world, morgul = sorcery/black arts. It's like the dagger Lökdahl in Kay's Fionavar Tapestry books - it means literally "onion valley" in Swedish. Big Grin

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-18-2010

Thats what makes those things funny... Translating them to languages they were not meant to be translated to...

The similarity to Tolkien's creations may actually be a semi-subtle form of homage...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Mervi - Sep-18-2010

Well, with Fionavar the case is likely that the author wanted to use something Swedish but didn't bother to find out the meaning. (The world in the books is a mixture of other fantasy worlds and ancient legends.) With GRRM... I want to believe he knew what he was doing (so maybe it is a homage to Tolkien)... but even so it didn't work for me because it doesn't quite fit.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-19-2010

The few times we've come across obvious homage to (various authors' works), the names have been intentionally misspelled, or rephrased...

kinda like in the inheritance cycle (eragon, eldest, brisingr), where one of the cities are named "Tronjheim", which is suspiciously similar to the Norwegian city of "trondheim"...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-21-2010

My shiny new hardcover copy of Disciple of the Dog arrived today. Yay! I'll finish The Name of the Rose first, of course, but I know what I'm going to read next!

I also finished my train-book The City of Towers today. My final verdict: remember when I started a thread about how people need to start taking fantasy seriously? Well, this isn't the book that's going to do it. It's the literary equivalent of fast food, but fast food does have its uses and it was moderately entertaining. I'll be reading the rest of the trilogy, but it's not a high priority. For my next train read, I'm eyeing Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison. It will be my first foray into urban fantasy - well, apart from tv series like Buffy, Angel and Charmed. (Yes, I've seen every single episode of Charmed, including the painfully bad final few seasons.)

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-23-2010

we're only reading four books now... instead of the previous six...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-26-2010

Four books. And I still find two books quite a lot to manage.

I have finished The Name of the Rose. A good read, but a bit heavygoing at times. I'm now finally reading Disciple of the Dog, which is just starting to get interesting.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-26-2010

These beings are working, slowly, on getting that number down. They are finishing up one book at a time.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Sep-27-2010

Three books left now. Not sure which one is next to finish.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-30-2010

I'm nearing the end of Disciple of the Dog and I'm slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's good read, it's just not the great read that Neuropath was.

Dead Witch Walking, though, is starting to get really good.