thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-12-2010

Finished The Shattered Land earlier today. My goodness, that was bad. It started out fairly straightforward, but about halfway through, the story got really, really convoluted. And not in an epic-fantasy-with-lots-of-storylines way, like A Song of Ice and Fire, but more like "How is any of this connected with anything else in this book, let alone the previous volume? Also, Baker seems to have taken Chandler's Law to heart: "When in doubt, have a man with a gun through the door", to be replaced here with "When in doubt, have your heroes ambushed by assassins/creepy shadow creatures/more assassins/statues that come to life/warforged/elves/more elves/that first group of elves again". Gaaah!

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-16-2010

Yikes, triple post. My new train read is David Gemmell's White Wolf. While he's not my favorite writer, I am guaranteed (I think I spelt that wrong) a good read.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Nov-16-2010

(Nov-16-2010, 09:03 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Yikes, triple post.

Yes, I've been doing that a lot of late Turned !

(Nov-16-2010, 09:03 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: guaranteed (I think I spelt that wrong)

Looks correct to me!

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Nov-17-2010

Marion Zimmer-Bradley - The mists of Avalon

The best book in the Avalon series. I like the female-oriented viewpoint of the Arthur-legend.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-29-2010

Just finished Last Dragon. It was very weird. Basically, it's a traditional fantasy story told in a very non-traditional manner. And while interesting stylistically, it did get a little tiresome in the end.

For my next read, I think I'll go with The Devil's Cure by Kenneth Oppel. This is a book I'm very curious about. Mr. Oppel has written a lot of books for children and teenagers (I myself read his Silverwing books when I was in my teens and I loved them), but this is his only novel for adults. It's out of print too - I had to get a used copy.

I'll finish that Dan Abnett omnibus one day, but not yet...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Rendezvous - Dec-02-2010

Currently reading "Blue Boots" By Robin Hobb from my newly purchased hardcover copy of 'Songs of Love and Death'.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Mervi - Dec-05-2010

Ooh I've been waiting for someone here to comment on that story! I hope my copy of the book arrives early next week, the anticipation is driving me nuts! P
Feel free to start a new topic about it Rendezvous if you feel like it. Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? - Rendezvous - Dec-07-2010

Oh I'de never, I don't want to inadvertently spoil it for anyone.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Dec-08-2010

right now 'thul be readin':
The Lost journals of Ven Polypheme: The floating Island (by Elizabeth Haydon)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Dec-08-2010

Just finished The Devil's Cure. Up next: Hunter's Run by the all-star team of George R. R. Martin, Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham.