thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - redchild - Dec-31-2010

(Dec-30-2010, 10:12 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: I just re-read The Voyage of Dawn Treader in preparation of seeing the third Narnia film. I fully expect to hate parts of it based on the trailer (What seven swords? Why is Caspian at the beach where the wave is? Why isn't Ramandu listed as a character, they could not have cut him RIGHT?) I have to say the book is... well, I wouldn't say least favourite of the series, but there are parts that I find difficult to digests as a grown-up. I first read the books when I was 9 and was madly in love with the world, so I'll be forever biased when it comes to criticism of these books. I was surprised to notice most of the story is told from Lucy's point of view, I didn't remember that.

Dawn Treader was one of my favorite of the series, as well as Magician's Nephew. I used to (and still do) love books about ships or people exploring new places and I suppose these two had a lot of exploratory elements in it. On the same note I also liked Horse and his Boy for it being set in a place other than Narnia, and I kind of hope they don't touch this one since it doesn't feature the Pevensies (as children) at all.

I've seen the first movie and the one based on Prince Caspian, and while they aren't terrible, they're not great either. They've got that saccharine slant to them, as they are marketed to children. LOTR for kids, I suppose. Not a drop of blood to be seen. I also don't like the adolescent romances they try to stick in there to cater to the tween audience. Susan and Caspian? Really? Dodgy Tilda Swinton makes a great Ice Queen though Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Dec-31-2010

the movies are fairly well-made compared to what one would usually encounter... most book adaptions tend to suffer from severe adaption decay...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Liquid Ice - Jan-01-2011

I'm currently reading Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw
eg this guy http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation if anyone has ever watched his videos...
So far it's pretty good.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Jan-01-2011

rereading old book "the dragon and the george".

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-06-2011

Speaking of Narnia, I still have Prince Caspian lying around somwhere. I still haven't read most of the Narnia books...

Finished Inside Straight yesterday. It was a little awkward at times, but on the whole it worked better than I ever expected. Now reading: The Swords of Night and Day by David Gemmell, the final Drenai book.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Jan-12-2011

I've read the first few Narnia books, and the movies were entertaining enough (although I agree with the criticisms above).
They're the sort of books I find hard to think of reading as an adult.... maybe one day I'll read the rest.

I've read Swords of Night and Day and I think I liked it ok, although on the whole not a huge fan of DG. I've read a few of his that were quite good though.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-12-2011

I'm getting a little burned out on David Gemmell myself. He's a decent writer, but he always writes the same kind of stories and the same kind of characters. To some degree, this is true of every writer, but with Gemmell it's getting annoying. When I'm done with The Swords of Night and Day, I'm taking a break from Gemmell for a while.

I saw the film of Prince Caspian a few days ago. Hope it won't impair my enjoyment of the book too much, when I'll get around to reading it. I thought it was a decent movie.

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Jan-12-2011

I'm in a Neil Gaiman mood. Started on Stardust yesterday.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Jan-13-2011

Kathryn Stockett's "The Help" - promises to be an emotional journey! Crying

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Jan-13-2011

Yep agreed with the Gemmel books, some are a bit samey.
In fact I was trying to remember if I actually read Swords of Night and Day OR White Wolf (or both), and I was looking at the blurbs on the books and I couldn't tell! They both seem to be 'Skilgannon is BACK'.
The wikipedia page on David Gemmel is worth a read - I liked hearing how he (eventually) got into writing!
And how he went with his first book!