thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - trekkie75 - Jul-06-2009

I'm re-reading assasins apprentice and sophies world.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-12-2009

Now reading A Brief History of Secret Societies by David V. Barrett. Take a wild guess what it's about. (It's non-fiction, by the way.)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-28-2009

I'm back from vacation. The book about secret societies was very to read.
I've just finished The Chosen, by Ricardo Pinto. The first book in the The Stone Dance of the Chameleon trilogy. A very interesting fantasy, which is not based on medieval Europe and has no magic. It's not for the faint of heart - some very gruesome stuff happens. Anyway, I thought it was interesting but too long (712 pages). If I compare the length of the book to what has actually happened in the story, I can't help but think it could have been shorter. It was good enough, though, that I'm ordering part two, The Standing Dead.

Now starting to read Western Esotericism by Kocku von Stuckrad.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Sini - Jul-30-2009

I've been reading quite a lot of Elizabeth Moon. At the moment I'm reading her "Once a hero" that takes place in the Serrano universe. I like her space operas, wasn't so interested in her Paksenarrion fantasy series.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-31-2009

The Legend of Deathwalker by David Gemmell. About fifty pages in and really liking it thus far. It's typical Gemmell fare, not groundbreaking, but a lot of fun.

RE: What are you reading right now? - maulkin - Jul-31-2009

Taking a break from reading serious biological stuff and re-reading my old Sleeper comics. Comics don't get much more dark and gritty than this...

RE: What are you reading right now? - maulkin - Aug-06-2009

Iron Angel (part 2 of The Deepgate Codex) by Alan Campbell. Disorienting steampunkish fantasy. A city suspended from chains above a gateway to hell. Giant battle robots manufactured from the souls of angels. A glass-skinned god confronts the ghost of a mad scientist in the dining car of a speeding steam train. Yes, really.

RE: What are you reading right now? - chriSchaeffer - Aug-06-2009

(Aug-06-2009, 12:57 PM (UTC))maulkin Wrote: A city suspended from chains above a gateway to hell. Giant battle robots manufactured from the souls of angels. A glass-skinned god confronts the ghost of a mad scientist in the dining car of a speeding steam train. Yes, really.

Woah, cool! Sounds interesting. How was the first book? The reviews on Amazon don't look that good, but sometimes they are misleading.

RE: What are you reading right now? - maulkin - Aug-06-2009

Dark and disturbing with lots of cool (and very mad) ideas. On the minus side, the plot is disjointed and the characters are not terribly engaging, so the book can be a struggle. Part three (The God of Clocks) is now available in hardback but I think I'll wait for the paperback before buying (that should give you some indication of how I rate it!).

RE: What are you reading right now? - chriSchaeffer - Aug-06-2009

(Aug-06-2009, 05:33 PM (UTC))maulkin Wrote: ...the plot is disjointed and the characters are not terribly engaging, so the book can be a struggle...

That's what I was getting from the Amazon reviews. Thanks, but I think I'll pass. Quality characters are my #1 priority. That's why Robin Hobb is so great.