thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Feb-01-2011

Finished re-reading the Farseer trilogy (!) so now am reading the stories in Songs of Love and Death.
The first story is one of the Harry Dresden stories by Jim Butcher, and I have never read any of those before. Although the story isn't the 'type' of thing I would usually like it's really well written and I enjoyed it.
The second story is by 'New York Times bestselling author' Jo Beverley. I've never read any of her work either. I couldn't finish it.... It is, as the synopsis says, 'the story of a man wooing a very reluctant maid'. Ug!! There didn't seem to be much depth to it as far as I could see, although no I did not finish it (but I did read the last page! Hmmm no surprises there). It just seemed to be a straightforward telling of a story..... where's my twist? my interesting characters? I couldn't find them there.
The third story I have only just started reading but it has my interest! The author is Carrie Vaughn, another one I have never come across (there's a pattern here.... yes I tend to stick to the same authors!).....

I also read the story by Lisa Tuttle, which was quite ok but I didn't get really engrossed in it.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-03-2011

Ah yes, Carrie Vaugh. I quite liked her sections in the new Wild Cards books. Haven't read any of her own books yet.

I am making slow progress through The Third God. The trilogy it finishes, The Stone Dance of the Chameleon, is one of the oddest reading experiences of my life. On the one hand, the worldbuilding is magnificent. It's like nothing I've ever seen before. On the other hand, the actual story moves very slowly and is, well, not all that special. I have to give the author credit where it's due, though: after two slightly predictable novels, I now have no idea how the story is going to end.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Feb-03-2011

I'm really liking these SoLaD short stories. I don't usually like short stories.... I like to really get to know characters and then read all about them.

The Carrie Vaughn story was ok but I sort of lost interest a bit toward the end!

Coincidentally the next story was by 'MLN Hanover', which turns out to be a pseduonym for DANIEL ABRAHAM, who is writing the 'scripts' (as GRRM terms it) for the comic adaptation of ASOIAF mentioned in Albertosaurus' thread.
I really liked it. I think I do like first person POV stories, but so many of them are just a straightforward unloading of facts about the persons back history (some of the stories in SoLaD being cases in point)....... I guess it is tough to write a short story and include all the necessary information without doing this, but I think that's what makes a really well crafted story.
I love stories where everything is hints and clues and you have to work it all out.
Although.... sometimes it's all TOO obscure..... eg the Neil Gaiman story...... I must admit I don't get what the heck happened? Maybe I should read it again... it may just click! (or not!)

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Feb-06-2011

These beings are reading the book "storm glass" by "Maria V. Snyder".
It is quite interesting and has fairly original system of magic... Its fairly easy to get into, unlike some books...

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Feb-07-2011

Now these beings are reading "Fire Study" by the same author, after finishing both "poison study" and "Magic study". (3rd book today)

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Feb-08-2011

*takes pride in a triple-posting*
(now why haven't you others posted???)

These beings Finished that book they started yesterday. They are now pondering starting up the next book, "sea glass", which is set after "storm glass". (the three "study" books were set before "storm glass"

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Feb-08-2011

Well, maybe because we haven't started new books yet? My main reading project is The Third God, a mammoth book which is over 900 pages long. Some people can read such a book in a few days, but I am not one of them. I have about 200 pages to go and to be fair I'm wondering what is going to happen now - most of the main plotlines appear to have been resolved already.

hmm... good answer...

Reading books in size A4 makes them pass much quicker... (especially when even the longest books rarely go beyond 400 pages...)

To make it fairly obvious... Lord of the rings is less than 600 pages long, closer to 500...
The paper edition goes to around 1600...

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Feb-08-2011

I'm still reading Death Note. Up to volume 9 (of 12) by now.

Finished that book now... Unfortunately it was a poor electronic version... the first 30ish pages were placed at the end of the document...