thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - finella - May-04-2011

(May-01-2011, 03:10 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: And now I'm going to read... The Inheritance by our one and only Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm!

Oh, enjoy it !!! I wonder how you will like it.

I’m going to finish Anne McCaffreys „The Skys of Pern“ in German, although I also have the english edition. I was just too lazy. And I’m glad, I was, because I find it a little bit boring and also all the technical terms and astrology would have certainly been too much for me.
I'm thinking of a re-read of Martin’s A Song of Fire and Ice, so that I will be in the story before the next book will come out sometimes in summer. Hach, great thing Clapping!!! But before I problably will read something completely different, perhaps a thriller or so. I need to change genre regularly, otherwise I loose my passion.

RE: What are you reading right now? - redchild - May-06-2011

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! by Richard P Feynman

Had the book lying around but never got to reading it till now, after I read a comic adaptation Feynman by Jim Ottaviani and Leland Myrick.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - May-06-2011

(May-04-2011, 08:23 AM (UTC))finella Wrote:
(May-01-2011, 03:10 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: And now I'm going to read... The Inheritance by our one and only Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm!

Oh, enjoy it !!! I wonder how you will like it.

I liked it. I posted some of my thoughts in the Inheritance thread. Now reading Starfish by Peter Watts.

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - May-08-2011

Mary Gentle - Chronicles of Carrick V: Orthe

There is only one writer I like even more than Robin Hobb and that is Mary Gentle. This is a compilation of three stories (two long ones and one short). Basically it's a political intrigue thriller set in a fantasy setting. The reason Orthe, a techless world, dislikes technology is one I have read very seldom, and it's used in a very convincing way.

RE: What are you reading right now? - FoolishGirl - May-09-2011

I just finished Zoo City by Lauren Beukes, winner of the 2011 AC Clarke award. I liked the world she created better than the plot. Curious to hear if anyone else has read it...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - May-09-2011

Your sentiment about that book echoes mine about The Stone Dance of the Chameleon. But no, I have not read Zoo City, although I've been eyeing it. On the whole, do you feel it's worth reading?

RE: What are you reading right now? - FoolishGirl - May-09-2011

(May-09-2011, 02:52 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: On the whole, do you feel it's worth reading?

I do think Zoo City is worth reading, especially if you have an interest in world-building. She's quite a good writer, and has some interesting means of revealing the details of this alternate universe (like His Dark Materials, people have "animal familiars" [or whatever you would call it], but only if they commit a terrible crime). I don't know much about South African ancient/mystical culture, but I surmise that much of her ideas come from there. You can't help but note the parallels to apartheid and there are many details about what it's like to live in S. Africa in particular and sub-Saharan Africa in general that often don't see the light of day in Western literature.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - May-11-2011

Progress report:

I'm 2/3 through Starfish and I would describe this novel as an interesting concept and interesting characters in search of an actual plot. Seriously, I have no idea where this is supposed to be going. Oh well. I am enjoying myself, though.

I have reached the halfway point of The Quest for Karn and my goodness, it's dull. It had the potential to be a tense and frightening story, but it's so blandly written. I want Jeff Grubb back. Or possibly J. Robert King, provided he doesn't go off the rails again.

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - May-11-2011

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. He's keeping me thoroughly entertained while I await Tawny Man 2 & 3.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - May-12-2011

is that one of those that were adapted for movie? (Interview with a vampire & Queen of the Damned)