thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Changer - Aug-10-2009

Rereading the Tawny man trilogie at the moment. It still hasn't lost any of it's charm, praise Hobb Big Grin

RE: What are you reading right now? - chriSchaeffer - Oct-19-2009

Half the excitement of finishing a book is getting to pick the next one. I've recently come across an awesome source for finding books to read. It's a huge user submitted list from GoodReads.com.

There are tons of lists based on different subjects, topics, and a bunch of "best of" lists. I highly recommend browsing the lists, they are really helpful! http://www.goodreads.com/list

If you are on Goodreads.com, add me as a friend, http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2176886

BTW... What are you reading right now? --> I'm just about to start rereading the Lord of the Rings series.

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Oct-19-2009

Manda Scott - Boudica quadrilogy (currently in book 2, Dreaming the bull)

Four books about Boudica, the Eceni warrior queen. Mostly fiction, but some historical truth thrown in occasionally. A very nice read!

RE: What are you reading right now? - n00854180t - Oct-19-2009

(May-28-2008, 03:04 PM (UTC))chriSchaeffer Wrote: Since Mervi has done such an amazing job setting up the wiki, there aren't a lot of questions left to ask about Hobb or her books. So, I'll start a discussion about what books are tiding you guys over until the next Hobb release.

I'm currently reading Elven Star by Weis and Hickman. Book two of the Death Gate Cycle series.

[Image: 0553290983.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

I didn't start reading much fantasy until about 5 years ago, so I have a lot of catching up to do. With the help of a few book review blogs and Amazon's star rating system, I've been able to find a lot of great older books. I only have about 50 pages left, so I'm planning on finishing it up tonight.

IMO the Death Gate Cycle is probably the best work Weis/Hickman have ever done.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Chiquita - Oct-19-2009

I agree the Death Gate Cycle is the best work Weis/Hickman have done Smiling

I just finished reading the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. Those I enjoyed alot and I'm looking forward to reading his next series which he's still working on. The first one isn't out until next november. Sigh.

RE: What are you reading right now? - n00854180t - Oct-20-2009

(Oct-19-2009, 11:22 PM (UTC))Chiquita Wrote: I agree the Death Gate Cycle is the best work Weis/Hickman have done Smiling
My level of reluctance to finish it was actually very similar to that I felt after reading the last of the RH books (though I haven't read the short stories and whatnot, though those tend to be like eating tiny and wholly unsatisfying snack to me, which is why I go for long series as it is). Haplo is awesome.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Mervi - Dec-12-2009

I've been reading stories by my favourite crime/mystery writer Dick Francis lately. They have certain patterns in them that become very recognizable after reading a few, but they're still entertaining enough to keep me reading (there's more than 40 titles available currently I think). Anyone else here who has read them?

Also, I know a couple of you mentioned being on goodreads... but is anyone else on librarything? Here's my profile there, feel free to add me! Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? - chriSchaeffer - Dec-13-2009

Dick Francis looks interesting. What book should I start with?

I don't really use librarything (prefer goodreads), but I'll add you.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Mervi - Dec-13-2009

Hmm, that's a tough question! Detective Break In and Bolt are quite strong and feature the same person as the main character so there's continuity (there's only one other character that features in several novels), but then the downside is that he's a jockey so if you're not into horseracing, those two books might not be your thing. Banker and Proof are good too, and horses are not the main focus of the plot in those (although I doubt there's such a thing as a DF book without a mention of horses.) I also remember liking Decider and Longshot but it's been ages since I read those. (I'm currently re-reading the ones that have been translated to Finnish and discovering for the first time many that haven't been.)

Oh, and I guess I should mention that his Sid Halley books (the other recurring character I mentioned) are the ones that have most nominations/awards so they might be the safest bet? Oddst Against, Whip Hand, Come to Grief and Under Orders are the titles (in publishing and I believe also chronological order). Not my favourite stories by him, although I like Sid himself. Uhhuh

RE: What are you reading right now? - redchild - Dec-27-2009

I just finished Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Just the sci-fi fix I needed! I found out there are two more books and a novella continuing the series so I need to pick those up soon...

I am starting on American Gods by Neil Gaiman.