thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - May-27-2011

Terry Brooks' 'A princess of Landover'. I really liked the old Landover books, but this one is ... mediocre.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - May-27-2011

(May-27-2011, 07:23 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: I don't think I can do the hyper-detailed "progressive spoilers" that Farseer does so well

Happyballoon

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-01-2011

The Aleph and Other Stories by Jorge Luis Borges.

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Jun-05-2011

'Guardians of the West' by David and Leigh Eddings. After that, the rest of the Mallorean. I like the simplicity of Eddings' books.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Jun-05-2011

The Eddingses are among 'thul's favorite authors... It is too bad that they are both deceased now...

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-05-2011

I finished The Aleph and Other Stories earlier today. While most stories were decent, I have to admit I'm unsure why Borges is such a literary giant.

In my ongoing quest to both read more work by female authors and to reduce my to-read pile, I'm now taking on Empress by Karen Miller.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Jun-12-2011

'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett. I am not even two chapters in but am already thinking I may have to set it aside unfinished (despite my self-imposed "once a book has been started it must be finished" rule).

I certainly like the idea behind it (which is why I purchased it in the first place, rather than due to the rave reviews it has received), and some of the characters, but am not enjoying the inconsistency in the vernaculars at all. I am not an expert by any means Innocent but this became apparent from the very first page and is cause for huge distractions...

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Jun-12-2011

These beings have begun reading "mistborn" by Brandon Sanderson. They have not gotten far enough to say much about the story as a whole (10 pages in) but it is not looking bad, and the cover is highly promising...
It has a rather nice quote:
"highly recommended!" - Robin Hobb

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-12-2011

I've had my eye on Sanderson for quite a while. Be sure to tell us if you enjoy the book.

Halfway through Empress. It's keeping me interested so far, although the highly formalized dialogue sometimes grates a little.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Jun-12-2011

These beings have come about 3 chapters into book. It is of just the expected quality from the recommendation...

lots of things that make any reasonable person chuckle or outright laugh.

It also has a rather original system of magic, and that is good...