thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Jun-13-2011

These beings have now almost finished reading "mistborn" and they have no doubts whatsoever that it is a book of the highest quality... They are also looking forward to reading its sequels...

RE: What are you reading right now? - danieladamsmith - Jun-13-2011

(Jun-13-2011, 07:25 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings have now almost finished reading "mistborn" and they have no doubts whatsoever that it is a book of the highest quality... They are also looking forward to reading its sequels...

I loved that series. It made me a really huge Brandon Sanderson fan...
I'm finishing What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell (Non-Fiction) and then moving on to The Lies of Locke Lamora...

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Jun-21-2011

While these beings are waiting for book two to arrive at the local library, they have been reading up on older books.

The current series they are re-reading is "The age of Misrule", a near-modern day fantasy series set at the end of the age of Technology, mainly occurring in Great Britain. Magic has pretty much been gone from the world since the early middle ages, and it is returning in full force at the start of the series. Main magical focus is on the celtic mythos, though there are elements of others.

It takes a bit of time to get into, but it is well worth reading.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Jun-23-2011

Despite having some trouble finishing any of the books that I begin of late, I picked up a couple today that I have been wanting to read for a while - Royal Exile and Tyrant's Blood, which are the first two books of Fiona McIntosh's 'The Valisar Trilogy'. The very first comes with a quote similar to the one the thul beings came across recently: 'Two words on the cover - "Fiona McIntosh" - always let me know that I'm in for a good read' (Robin Hobb).

I was searching through yet another library for a copy of Wizard of the Pigeons (school holidays coming up so I'm hoping for some reading time) but came across these instead. I went from being extremely disappointed to thinking it was my lucky day...any library I visit only ever has the second book of any given trilogy on the shelf!! Smiling

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Jun-23-2011

These beings have a rather lengthy reading cirriculum planned... about 15 or so Asimov books as well as both remaining mistborn books and the series they already started (age of misrule)

They got message earlier today that both the mistborn books have arrived at the local library, so they will pick them up tomorrow.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-24-2011

Ah, Fiona McIntosh. Anyone who comes with such high recommendations by Robin Hobb should be worth checking out. I myself am most interested in her Percheron trilogy, which apparently takes its inspiration from Arabia - an area that I have become very interested in of late.

I finished Karen Miller's Empress today and as always feel compelled to summarize what I thought of the book. In the beginning, I really enjoyed it. Which is no mean feat, given that the book starts off with a rape and the main character being sold into slavery. But around the midway point, my enjoyment declined as the main character became more and more unsympathetic. It's a very understandable development, but it's difficult to read.
Apparently, the next book shifts to another kingdom, after which the third and final book will feature a clash of civilizations. I'm very curious how it will all work out.

No new book yet, although I'm eyeing Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

RE: What are you reading right now? - joost - Jun-27-2011

Finished The mallorean. I really like most David/Leigh Eddings books (only one that was slightly boring was The dreamers quadrilogy).

I read 'Cinderella: From fabletown with love' yesterday, a book in the Fables series. Very nice story, surprising adversary, some really cool drawings. Definitely worth the time.
Today I read 'Last gleaming', part 8 of Buffy the vampire slayer season 8. The end of this season. There were some nice plots in this season, some really bad ones, and it left me feeling a bit mixed. I preferred the TV-show.

Next up: A complete re-read of Y: the last man. A virus has killed almost all men on earth, except Yorick and his monkey. The 10-volume series is about his journey to reunite with his GF, and the adventures he finds on his way. Really funny and excellent drawing.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-01-2011

Finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being earlier today. Next up: Suicide Kings, a Wild Cards novel edited by GRRM. (And yes, it's from the to-read pile.)

RE: What are you reading right now? - Nuytsia - Jul-01-2011

Currently reading: The Inheritance !
Yay finally....

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Jul-01-2011

These beings finished the last two mistborn books a couple of days ago. The books more than delivered on the promise given by the first book.