thePlenty.net Forums
What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What are you reading right now? (possible RotE spoilers) (/thread-12.html)

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Jul-31-2011

These beings will start up reading A dance with dragons today.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-03-2011

So I finished the Nostradamus disaster and have now started reading...

SHAMAN'S CROSSING

That's right, the first volume of Robin Hobb's most under-read trilogy. It has actually spent a few years on my to-read pile, along with the rest of the trilogy. Don't ask me why, I don't know... anyway, it's good so far. Real Robin Hobb quality is what I call it.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Farseer - Aug-03-2011

That is STUPENDOUS news, AR! I will smile about that for the rest of the day! Slurp

RE: What are you reading right now? - FoolishGirl - Aug-05-2011

Flowers Hi, all and Happy Summer (...or, Winter, for those Down Under)! I've been away from the forum for a bit and am busily catching up on posts. Just finished GRRM's ADWD (sigh...only six or so more years until the next book). Casting about for new options, I have come across the author Lev Grossman. My local paper calls The Magicians "Harry Potter for adults". Magic Before I hit "Buy" on the Kindle, though I'd ask here to see if anyone has read it. Looking forward to whatever feedback you might have!

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-15-2011

I haven't read it. Reviews have been rather mixed - apparently you love it or you hate it.

I'm now reading Forest Mage, after a little break in which I've read Robert E. Howard's The Hour of the Dragon, his only full-length Conan novel. Trying to get in the mood for the upcoming movie...

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Aug-15-2011

These beings have not heard of it, so they cannot give you the answers you seek.

RE: What are you reading right now? - 'thul - Aug-16-2011

These beings are now reading the book "anno dracula" by Kim Newman, after a recommendation from someone else. Its very good so far.

RE: What are you reading right now? - FoolishGirl - Aug-17-2011

(Aug-05-2011, 02:29 AM (UTC))FoolishGirl Wrote: I have come across the author Lev Grossman. My local paper calls The Magicians "Harry Potter for adults". Magic Before I hit "Buy" on the Kindle, though I'd ask here to see if anyone has read it.

Well, I've read the first book and am now onto the second (Magician King). I can't say the books bowled me over, but they are interesting. The main character, Quentin, reminds me of Holden Caufield, a tortured and gawky adolescent too smart for his surroundings, until he finds his place at Brakebills (the magical college). The world of Brakebills is absorbing, but the writing, though often brilliant, is so abrupt sometimes that the plot moves too quickly for comfort. Character development is uneven, so that you don't really get to care that much about these students and their eventual quest to visit the Narnia-like world of Fillory. Second book more of the same, pretty much. I'd give the books 3.5 stars out of 5.

RE: What are you reading right now? - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-18-2011

I also read the Conan short story The God in the Bowl and I have to say: that was pretty weak.

RE: What are you reading right now? - fool-ish - Aug-18-2011

Ship Of Magic..at last! Found Mad Ship in a local charity shop yesterday, a bargain at 99p! Smiling